The storm is all over!
2018-01-06 14:15:34 UTC
OK, we are into a deep freeze, but at least the storm is gone and
most people in NS have their power back. I think about 3000 are still
without service, so we'll hope that gets fixed ASAP.

29 hours out here, but somehow we managed to stay comfortable. It
came on last night before the temperatures plunged. I don't know that I
could have kept it warm all night and today with just a couple of
kerosene heaters. Wind chill is -20 C here right now at 10:15 AM.

My generator is on the small side with no 240 VAC, so I might have
to upgrade it. On the other hand, now that the power is back on, it
doesn't seem so urgent. The poor thing went 29 hours straight and kept
everything electrical that needed to be energized going . . . on 2.5
gallons of gas! Maybe I don't need a bigger one 'cuz it'll be a gas
guzzler.
Mike Small
2018-01-06 16:13:14 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
OK, we are into a deep freeze, but at least the storm is gone and
most people in NS have their power back. I think about 3000 are still
without service, so we'll hope that gets fixed ASAP.
29 hours out here, but somehow we managed to stay comfortable. It
came on last night before the temperatures plunged. I don't know that
I could have kept it warm all night and today with just a couple of
kerosene heaters. Wind chill is -20 C here right now at 10:15 AM.
Is -20 C a big deal for Nova Scotia now? I remember growing up there and
having weeks on end in January or February where the unadjusted
temperature was around that and as kids we'd even play street hockey in
that weather. One time we managed to shatter one of those orange street
hockey balls. They change their properties completely at that
temperature. Made them quite nice to stick handle when they got hard
like that, but they were also more prone to bounce.

Speaking of hockey, how about the Canadian World Junior team? That was
some game. Is it just me or are players today a lot faster and perhaps
even more skilled?
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
l***@fl.it
2018-01-06 16:52:36 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I'm not really a judge, don't follow it, but I watched some figure
skating the other day and the couples were doing all sorts of jumps,
leaps, throws - you name it and back in the day I can remember when it
was such a big deal when I think Elvis did a quad.
HRM Resident
2018-01-06 17:11:53 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
You are/were and Elvis fan? I wondered what happened to all those
teenage girls crying and laughing and the like beating on the edge of
the stage and jumping up and down in excitement! Same as when the
Beatles played. Did you get his autograph?

The warden threw a party in the county jail
The prison band was there and they began to wail
The band was jumpin' and the joint began to swing
You should've heard them knocked-out jailbirds sing

Let's rock everybody, let's rock
Everybody in the whole cell block
Was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock

Spider Murphy played the tenor saxophone
Little Joe was blowin' on the slide trombone
The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang
The whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang

Let's rock everybody, let's rock
Everybody in the whole cell block
Was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock

Number forty-seven said to number three
"You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see
I sure would be delighted with your company
Come on and do the Jailhouse Rock with me"

Let's rock…

Sad sack was sittin' on a block of stone
Way over in the corner weepin' all alone
The warden said, "hey, buddy, don't you be no square
If you can't find a partner, use a wooden chair"

Let's rock everybody, let's rock
Everybody in the whole cell block
Was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock

Shifty Henry said to Bugs, "For Heaven's sake
No one's lookin' now's our chance to make a break"
Bugsy turned to Shifty and he said, "Nix, Nix
I want to stick around a while and get my kicks"

2018-01-06 19:59:10 UTC
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 13:11:53 -0400, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
Post by Mike Small
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Wrong Elvis, though the skater had been named after him because his
mother was an Elvis fan. I didn't like/dislike him but when I wanted
to aggravate my mother, I would play some Elvis :)
HRM Resident
2018-01-07 14:56:42 UTC
Wrong Elvis, though the skater had been named after him because his
mother was an Elvis fan. I didn't like/dislike him but when I wanted
to aggravate my mother, I would play some Elvis :)
Oh well, at least you were a god daughter! :-)
2018-01-07 15:02:02 UTC
Wrong Elvis, though the skater had been named after him because his
mother was an Elvis fan.  I didn't like/dislike him but when I wanted
to aggravate my mother, I would play some Elvis :)
    Oh well, at least you were a god daughter! :-)
Make that good, not god! It's cold today and I can't type well.
As Mike said in another post, it's probably usual for this time of year.
It's just that it came on so quick AND I had 48 hours in total (Xmas
day plus the recent one) with no power.

I got spoiled because we went over 1.5 years without even a
flicker, and then we get a couple of prolonged outages back to back . .
. which I think is normal for Canada in the winter.
axemen99
2018-01-06 20:00:16 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Speaking of hockey, how about the Canadian World Junior team? That was
some game. Is it just me or are players today a lot faster and perhaps
even more skilled?
--
Mike Small
Hockey in 70-80s was physical. Now it requires skills. Good read here, "Canada has been successful in this tournament because of its balance up front, talented blue line and strong goaltending" -
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/canada-czech-world-juniors-semifinal-1.4474083
Mike Spencer
2018-01-07 05:33:51 UTC
Post by Mike Small
OK, we are into a deep freeze [snip]
Is -20 C a big deal for Nova Scotia now? I remember growing up there and
having weeks on end in January or February where the unadjusted
temperature was around that...
I've been here since 69. During that time, it's been usual to have
maybe a week around 0F (-18C) nights and 10F to 15F (-12.2C to -9.4C)
days about this time of year. In the winter of 2015 there was a
longer than usual episode like that in Jaunary with ni snow. The
local beaver pond froze so solid that we could walk on it and visit
the beaver lodge. Then incredible amounts of snow fell that was still
2 to 3 feet deep at the beginning of April.

In winter, I collect seaweed from the beach for the next year's potato
patch and for mulch. If there's a heavy sea (as there was recently)
it brings heaps of seaweed onto the beach where it can easily be
forked into a truck. But if there's a near-0F cold snap after the
stormy weather, the heaps freeze and become impossible to fork.

Better than where I lived before 1969. There, the January cold spell
was routinely -20F (-29C) nights and warmed up to 0F (-18C) days.

It's about 0F tonight here and the wind has tapered off. I had a hard
time getting the propane coupling to work right on the heater for my
tiny greenhouse -- apparently seals weren't flexible enough when cold.
All well after warming up the propane tank to 65F, tomato and basil
plants now happy at 70F to 75F.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada