ping Mike
l***@fl.it
2015-07-08 18:13:38 UTC
Wasn't thinking, you're on dial up, here's the copy/pasted item

Eastlink gets rural broadband deadline

A Port Royal man is frustrated that Eastlink's rural Nova Scotia
broadband internet packages will be capped at 15 gigabytes each month
come August.

"It really does mean that there's no way that we could [use] the
internet the way it's typically used in 2015," said Gary Ewer. "We'd
be basically back to a kind of a 2003, pre-YouTube, pre-Netflix,
pre-anything streaming scenario."

He says that with the way people use the internet today, the cap will
make it difficult or impossible to use the internet.

Eastlink's Rural Connect service is $46.95 a month, and provides
service to Annapolis, Hants, Digby, Yarmouth, Queens, Lunenburg,
Shelburne and Kings counties.

In August, internet packages will be capped at 15 GB a month. Every GB
over will mean a $2 fee, up to a maximum of $20 extra each month.

'Good for basic internet needs'

The company's website says the service, which runs with speeds up to
1.5 megabits per second is "good for basic internet needs like e-mail,
general web browsing, and social media."

It also says it's not designed for streaming video, such as using a
platform like Netflix.

Ewer runs a songwriter's blog and is worried about what this will mean
for his business. He would like to work with students via Skype and
video lessons.

"That would become impossible to do, especially with this new scenario
where they're going to cap the service," Ewer said.

Eastlink, Seaside Communications and OmniGlobe Networks were awarded
contracts to provide broadband internet service to rural Nova Scotia
in 2007. There has been concern over communities still without access.

Eastlink spokesperson Jill Laing said the new cap is really about
equal access.

"When it comes to rural internet service, our goal has been to deliver
the service as it was intended to be used as designed by the
government of the day," she said.

She said the service was never designed for streaming. When the
service was designed, Netflix was still shipping videos by mail.

Laing said the 15 GB number was chosen because the number used per
month for intended uses, like surfing the web, is around 12.

She said people who are using it for what it was meant for, like email
and social media, should not be affected by this change.

Increased fees?

Ewer said people are concerned they could get cut off from using the
internet if they reach the $20 maximum overage fee. He said he is
concerned that maybe this $20 is just a temporary thing and could go
up over time.

Laing said customers wouldn't be cut off from service if they reach
the maximum overuse fee. The $20 is to help with the transition, she
said. And there's also a usage tracker tool available online.

Whether the $20 fee will increase is another question.

"It's hard to speak to what will happen over time. We'll certainly
evaluate where we're at later in the fall," said Laing.

Ewer is also concerned about speed. He said he's had 0.2 megabits per
second, but it used to be around two to three megabits per second.

Other rural investments

Eastlink also recently invested about $1 million in Lower East
Pubnico, and just over $1 million in part of the Annapolis Valley.
Internet service there will now be similar to what's available in the
major centres.

Ewer said there are other internet services available, but they come
through cellular service. He said he's learned they're more for
cottage use, rather than regular use. He said they would be expensive
as well.

Ewer said he might have been a bit naive, but he thought the service
would have improved, not declined.

"I always hear these interviews on the radio with experts about how to
revitalize rural areas, and I'm always surprised how few of them ...
mention the internet or even mention cell phone service, as if that's
a problem that's already been solved. It's most certainly not been
solved," he said.

---
Mike Spencer
2015-07-08 23:39:56 UTC
Post by l***@fl.it
Wasn't thinking, you're on dial up, here's the copy/pasted item
Thanks, LB.

See my last post.
Post by l***@fl.it
Ewer runs a songwriter's blog and is worried about what this will mean
for his business. He would like to work with students via Skype and
video lessons.
I just had an offer from a fellow Linux user to help me sort out an
anomaly -- over Skype. He took it for granted that anyone who could
identify the problem in question would, of course, have 100Mbps
broadband. I suspect he's now blown me off.
Post by l***@fl.it
Eastlink, Seaside Communications and OmniGlobe Networks were awarded
contracts to provide broadband internet service to rural Nova Scotia
in 2007. There has been concern over communities still without access.
Because the contracts have expired. I assume they'll both still add
customers but may not be willing to add new towers or personal poles
to make it work.
Post by l***@fl.it
She said people who are using it for what it was meant for, like email
and social media, should not be affected by this change.
See previous post re. pre-fetching video.
Post by l***@fl.it
Ewer said he might have been a bit naive, but he thought the service
would have improved, not declined.
"I always hear these interviews on the radio with experts about how to
revitalize rural areas, and I'm always surprised how few of them ...
mention the internet or even mention cell phone service, as if that's
a problem that's already been solved. It's most certainly not been
solved," he said.
I was in Laconia this week and there was no cell signal. Worse is
LaHave, on the LaHave river. There's the Bakery, Craft Co-op,
skateboard manufactory, ceramics studio, some marina facilities, a
couple of other businesses and a new one involved in international
trade. And no cell phone signal. There is cable in LaHave and free
but rather weak and unreliable wifi at the Bakery.

So no, it's not been solved.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
l***@fl.it
2015-07-08 23:52:34 UTC
Post by l***@fl.it
Ewer said he might have been a bit naive, but he thought the service
would have improved, not declined.
"I always hear these interviews on the radio with experts about how to
revitalize rural areas, and I'm always surprised how few of them ...
mention the internet or even mention cell phone service, as if that's
a problem that's already been solved. It's most certainly not been
solved," he said.
I was in Laconia this week and there was no cell signal. Worse is
LaHave, on the LaHave river. There's the Bakery, Craft Co-op,
skateboard manufactory, ceramics studio, some marina facilities, a
couple of other businesses and a new one involved in international
trade. And no cell phone signal. There is cable in LaHave and free
but rather weak and unreliable wifi at the Bakery.
So no, it's not been solved.
There are areas much closer to town where cell phones don't work you
know!

---