Upholstery
MYOB@home.com
2017-08-22 19:30:54 UTC
Looking for recommendations for upholsters in the HRM. I have a swivel rocker that's structurally sound but the upholstery is getting pretty worn. I'd thought of just a slipcover but it might also give it a new lease on life to actually reupholster it. I have no personal experience with this type of business and was wondering if anyone here did and could give me a heads up on who too see OR avoid. Hate to just go through the yellow pages and chose someone blindly
HRM Resident
2017-08-22 19:58:25 UTC
Post by ***@home.com
Looking for recommendations for upholsters in the HRM. I have a swivel rocker that's structurally sound but the upholstery is getting pretty worn. I'd thought of just a slipcover but it might also give it a new lease on life to actually reupholster it. I have no personal experience with this type of business and was wondering if anyone here did and could give me a heads up on who too see OR avoid. Hate to just go through the yellow pages and chose someone blindly
I would also be interested in this. Could whoever responds post it
here instead of just contacting the OP privately?
2017-08-22 20:42:43 UTC
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:58:25 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by ***@home.com
Looking for recommendations for upholsters in the HRM. I have a swivel rocker that's structurally sound but the upholstery is getting pretty worn. I'd thought of just a slipcover but it might also give it a new lease on life to actually reupholster it. I have no personal experience with this type of business and was wondering if anyone here did and could give me a heads up on who too see OR avoid. Hate to just go through the yellow pages and chose someone blindly
I would also be interested in this. Could whoever responds post it
here instead of just contacting the OP privately?
I had a chair upholstered by http://www.aceupholstery.net/ they are
just on the way to Peggys, just past Exhibition Park and Irving.
Excellent job but had it not been a sentimental thing, the price
seemed awful :) It was a chair given to me as a wedding present by a
great-uncle and it was a modern design for its day and is still a
wonderfully comfortable chair. It was recovered 14 years ago now, I
sit in it every evening and it still looks new, well apart from the
odd cat fur.
MYOB@home.com
Expense is an issue for me. Kevin enjoys the chair but we're not sentimentally attached to it. I could get a brand new one of equivalent quality for around $500 but this is a smaller sized chair perfect for an apartment bedroom and I'm willing to pay up to $250 to have it reupholstered
l***@fl.it
2017-08-23 19:43:20 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by ***@home.com
[...]
We just replaced the furniture in the condo lobby and although it was
good stuff decided on replacement rather than having it reupholstered.
For your purposes, you will have what you want for less than new and
you know the style works.
MYOB@home.com
2017-08-28 22:18:49 UTC
Post by ***@home.com
Expense is an issue for me. Kevin enjoys the chair but we're not sentimentally attached to it. I could get a brand new one of equivalent quality for around $500 but this is a smaller sized chair perfect for an apartment bedroom and I'm willing to pay up to $250 to have it reupholstered
We just replaced the furniture in the condo lobby and although it was
good stuff decided on replacement rather than having it reupholstered.
For your purposes, you will have what you want for less than new and
you know the style works.
Still have no idea who to get an estimate from. We did go looking at a couple of stores that had a decent selection. There was one that looked very cosy and it was on sale. The problem was that, when Kevin went to sit on it to try it out, it rocked quite a bit and made him feel nervous and unsteady. The current one doesn't move THAT much. The salesman did make an interesting suggesting though ... a platform rocker which wouldn't give him the sensation of tipping backwards.

The thing with having the old one reupholstered is that it would be gone for a couple of weeks at least and come back looking totally different so it would be a new chair but at a much cheaper price.

Got to keep him away from Nothing Fancy though. He took a great liking to a Duck Dynasty cammo covered chair they had which was one of the more expensive chairs they had. :-)