racism at work!
2017-09-10 11:09:25 UTC
https://twitter.com/i/moments/906548525487534080

I'm not sure whether the link will work but it really was funny, I
really hope she knows what an idiot she is.
HRM Resident
2017-09-10 12:44:35 UTC
https://twitter.com/i/moments/906548525487534080
I'm not sure whether the link will work but it really was funny, I
really hope she knows what an idiot she is.
I don't think a lot of bigots and racists understand or care about
details. In their demented thinking, you are either a white anglo-saxon
or you are not equal.

It's pretty easy to be a bigot. They have one thought that is
unwavering, "If a person doesn't look like me, I hate them!" I know
that sounds blunt, but it's how I see most of these fascists thinking
(and acting.) I'm not optimistic and I really believe the old saying
"It has to get worse before it gets better" applies to the West in 2017.

Maybe our society has morphed into a 1920s Italy . . . pretty sad
after the progress that was made from ~1965-2000. Mussolini would fit
right in today in way too many "civilised" countries . . .
With sadness, I agree but why do we have to repeat it?
HRM Resident
2017-09-11 11:19:01 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Why? A couple of reasons:

(a) Very few alive today remember WW II and the events leading up to it.
Hitler and Mussolini are just historical figures to today's
population. People like Lenin, Stalin, Napoleon, and even Genghis Khan
aren't "real." They are just historical figures that did things written
in boring schoolbooks or seen in grainy black and white news clips. Not
many recall the Jim Crow laws. Not many realise that WW II took ~60
million lives. "It's in the past" is their thinking. It doesn't apply
to today.

(b) The false belief that we won't repeat paying the horrible price of
war. Somehow it seems safer knowing that the next one will start with
drones and cruise missiles and their "surgical strikes." Most believe
that our defence systems are so good something like the battle of
Britain can never happen again. Not many alive today understand what a
telegram from the military saying your son/husband was killed in action.
I recall an exhibit in the War Museum in Ottawa that always stuck with
me . . . the "record" for sacrifice was some woman from Manitoba who
lost her entire family in WW II . . . 12 kids! Imagine 12 telegrams
starting with "We regret to inform you . . ."

Bigots don't read or understand history. They don't know or care
about the hurt they spread around. They are gleeful when minority
persons are harmed. They don't understand or care what hate leads to.

There is an eerie parallel between what's happening in the world
today and what happened in the 1920s and 1930s. I fear we are doomed to
repeat that horrible mistake.
2017-09-11 13:00:31 UTC
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 08:19:01 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Very well put - I do just remember WWII and it makes me sad that
anyone would repeat that type of happening, 'Never again' - somehow
lost its meaning over the years.
HRM Resident
2017-09-12 11:21:50 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
There is a plaque in Dachau that reads "Never Again." When I
looked at it, I scoffed in my mind . . . because I was thinking of the
modern day concentration camp in Gitmo. Never mind never again . . .
we're already doing it!
2017-09-12 12:35:25 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
If I was there I would say 'Gaza' - I've never again heard from my
Palestinian friend who went back to take her kids to meet their
grandchildren. She had no intention of staying there but just wanted
to do the usual immigrant thing, kids to visit grandparents in the
summer. I used to do it with mine.

jvangurp
2017-09-11 01:05:16 UTC
https://twitter.com/i/moments/906548525487534080
I'm not sure whether the link will work but it really was funny, I
really hope she knows what an idiot she is.
Jagmeet rose so far above her level in that instant... what a classy dude. He scored some serious points for his political career and maybe the party as well. The heckler bigot, on the other hand, must be an embarrassment even to the white nationalist types. A hell of an exchange - thanks for bringing it up LB!

Cheers!
JvG