Oxford Cinema
2017-09-01 10:51:42 UTC
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passè
:(
HRM Resident
2017-09-01 11:34:59 UTC
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passè
:(
It was an icon. However, like landlines, newspapers and a lot of
other things, progress makes things obsolete.
Mike Spencer
2017-09-01 19:49:38 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passÚ
:(
It was an icon. However, like landlines, newspapers and a lot of
other things, progress makes things obsolete.
Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to reflect
upon, then write 10,000 word on, the notion of "progress". >:-)

Gratis sample background material:

My parents had a manual can opener (of a type you've probably never
seen [1]) for ca. 40 years that worked well and easily, even in my
childish hands. In the 60s, it "wore out" but my father took it
apart, made an adjustment and used it for another decade.

After their retirement, they bought an electric can opener. When my
by then widowed and nonagenarian mother closed up her house to move in
with younger friends, I found 8 serially failed electric can openers
in the basement. I still have and use the original one from the
1920s.

[1] Du Blake. Ours is an "original" and lacks the bottle opener
hook.

https://thistakesmeback.com/listing/206792076/du-blake-aluminum-and-carbon-steel-blade
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

My electric toaster is 104 years old and works well.
l***@fl.it
2017-09-01 22:00:39 UTC
On 01 Sep 2017 16:49:38 -0300, Mike Spencer
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by HRM Resident
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passè
:(
It was an icon. However, like landlines, newspapers and a lot of
other things, progress makes things obsolete.
Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to reflect
upon, then write 10,000 word on, the notion of "progress". >:-)
My parents had a manual can opener (of a type you've probably never
seen [1]) for ca. 40 years that worked well and easily, even in my
childish hands. In the 60s, it "wore out" but my father took it
apart, made an adjustment and used it for another decade.
I once bought an electric one thinking it would be easier for my
husband to handle, it wasn't and in fact it was a useless thing. I
have one that I bought in 1957 or thereabouts and also one maybe
purchased in the 80s with large comfy handles to replace the electric
one. Both of those work dutifully.
MYOB@home.com
That's true BUT it's the experience and social aspects of movie going that are missing when you stream at home. I do it simply because getting out can be an issue but I've had many fun experiences going to movies either with friends or enjoying the room full of total strangers and their reactions. Nowadays, whether for movies, reading or even eating, there is no need to leave one's home and that can breed a society that is isolated and even anti-social
HRM Resident
2017-09-03 18:57:32 UTC
Post by ***@home.com
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passè
:(
It was an icon. However, like landlines, newspapers and a lot of
other things, progress makes things obsolete.
That's true BUT it's the experience and social aspects of movie going that are missing when you stream at home. I do it simply because getting out can be an issue but I've had many fun experiences going to movies either with friends or enjoying the room full of total strangers and their reactions. Nowadays, whether for movies, reading or even eating, there is no need to leave one's home and that can breed a society that is isolated and even anti-social
Like most of us who post (or used to post) here! LOL. It's a lot
easier to point and click than to get out and about. Times are changing.
2017-09-03 22:35:57 UTC
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 15:57:32 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by ***@home.com
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passè
:(
It was an icon. However, like landlines, newspapers and a lot of
other things, progress makes things obsolete.
That's true BUT it's the experience and social aspects of movie going that are missing when you stream at home. I do it simply because getting out can be an issue but I've had many fun experiences going to movies either with friends or enjoying the room full of total strangers and their reactions. Nowadays, whether for movies, reading or even eating, there is no need to leave one's home and that can breed a society that is isolated and even anti-social
Like most of us who post (or used to post) here! LOL. It's a lot
easier to point and click than to get out and about. Times are changing.
It's the stink of popcorn that puts me off, don't have that at home.
However, breaking the rule and going to see Dunkirk tomorrow at the
IMax, I'm told that can't be the same on a television.
MYOB@home.com
I fondly remember the days when many of us who were regulars here had periodic get togethers at various pubs/ restaurants. Same happened when I was part of the old BBS community. I'm still friends with some of those people that I met back in the late 80's - early 90's. For me at this point in time, Google or Yahoo groups are easier but never coming face to face with anyone can be cold and impersonal albeit entertaining at times. :-)
l***@fl.it
2017-09-08 18:57:02 UTC
Post by ***@home.com
Post by HRM Resident
Post by ***@home.com
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
I'd love to have another HNO - really J V-G could drink because he
won't have work tomorrow - but nobody else seems interested. I'm sure
Dan and Bonner would be interested if contacted. So hands up anybody
with the ***** to put themselves out in public like their mouths :)
Mike Spencer
2017-09-01 19:19:58 UTC
So sad to hear it's going...
Yes.
... but understand that a single screen is passè :(
I've never wanted to watch more than one movie at a time. :-)

BTW, now that theatres are all digital, does anybody know about the
technical networking aspects of delivering movies to the theatre?
Load balancing, speed, time of day, what physical lines/hardware are
used and so on? If, say, two dozen different movies are being shown
in NS in a given week, that's a rather large bolus of hi-res image
data. Is that done over the public internet or by privately leased
separate lines?
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
l***@fl.it
2017-09-01 21:58:22 UTC
On 01 Sep 2017 16:19:58 -0300, Mike Spencer
Post by Mike Spencer
So sad to hear it's going...
Yes.
... but understand that a single screen is passè :(
I've never wanted to watch more than one movie at a time. :-)
BTW, now that theatres are all digital, does anybody know about the
technical networking aspects of delivering movies to the theatre?
Load balancing, speed, time of day, what physical lines/hardware are
used and so on? If, say, two dozen different movies are being shown
in NS in a given week, that's a rather large bolus of hi-res image
data. Is that done over the public internet or by privately leased
separate lines?
Nope not a clue as to how they do it. My daughters and I are going
Imax on Monday to see Dunkirk - hear it is very good.
jvangurp
2017-09-08 20:34:16 UTC
So sad to hear it's going but understand that a single screen is passč
:(
Yes for sure, and I can get Dan on board too.