getting there
2017-07-24 14:10:23 UTC
Roughly 3 weeks to go. Why 'roughly'? The leave system isn't up to date yet. I have all sorts of vacation days sitting in limbo waiting for approval and it's kind of hard to track. My official last day, when I turn in my security pass and Blackberry and extra pencils, is Sept 20. So I'm forecasting around 25-30 days of saved up vacation, bringing me to mid-August as a last day in the office. I'm saying August 18 will be my last day. Can't imagine continuing to work while WW is fully retired. We have too many adventures to catch up on together!

Cheers!!!
JvG
jvangurp
2017-07-26 10:46:10 UTC
I sorted things out and it's actually 10 working days left.
l***@fl.it
2017-07-26 10:54:51 UTC
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 03:46:10 -0700 (PDT), jvangurp
Post by jvangurp
I sorted things out and it's actually 10 working days left.
Well put up a post the morning after to let us know how retirement
feels :)
HRM Resident
2017-07-26 17:47:28 UTC
I sorted things out and it's actually 10 working days left.
They will fly by, J-V-G. Here's another one that's even scarier.
You know how slowly the countdown went . . . well the day after you
retire, it will start to go faster! That's when you want it to go even
slower, but it won't. You're relatively young, as was I when I pulled
the plug.

The next thing I knew, I'm staring at OAS! Do all the things you
have mentioned here . . . enjoy your retirement, because you earned it.
But remember, one day you'll wake up and be 65-70 and wonder where the
hell the time went. I wish James was still posting here. He's have
some scientific explanation like time dilation or dark energy sucking
the days away, but whatever it is, the saying "The older you get, the
faster it goes by" is 100% true.

What got me is the physical ailments our elders whined about.
Arthritis. Hair turns grey and falls out. What used to take 2 hours
now takes 3-4, and the list goes on. You'll wake up some day after
doing something "simple" and all your joints will ache. Mine do,
anyhow. I took up blacksmithing as a hobby a few years ago (thanks to
Mike Spencer for the inspiration!) I just made a fire poker and it took
2-3 hours from start to finish. Now every bone in my body aches, and
will until tomorrow.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade . . . you'll do fine! Just
realise that you don't have another 30-40 years of doing everything you
want . . . unfortunately one has to slow down with age. It's still a
hell of a lot better than having your nose to the grindstone every day.
That's for sure!
2017-07-27 11:29:43 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by jvangurp
[...]
Yarrr.... thanks HRM, I always enjoy your comments.

At 56 I'm hoping to have 15-20 good years, and who knows maybe more. OTOH things could go south tomorrow, we all see it happen. I know it can go fast, that's why I am getting out of the daily grind as soon as possible. Well, quitting earlier was certainly possible but that's not my style. I'm very much a duty-bound type of individual.

I've already noticed a loss of muscle and strength due to age I suppose but possibly due to taking statins fo a while, which I plan to drop now that I have a new cholesterol lowering drug that doesn't affect muscles. That's another sign of aging, when you have to take "your pills" every day :-)

So I spend 20 minutes every morning with some dumbells, and in retirement, I plan to have a daily routine to stay on top of it. Exercise will be a priority so that when those older years hit I will be in as good shape as possible and be able to stay active etc. All based on genetic luck too.

15 calendar days to go - that's roughly 9 working days. It's the calendar days that count.

whoohoo!