I'm so bored!
2017-08-11 19:58:38 UTC
Omg I have nothing to do. I'm so bored... is anyone hiring these days?

JvG
l***@fl.it
2017-08-11 21:29:01 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:58:38 -0700 (PDT), jvangurp
Post by jvangurp
Omg I have nothing to do. I'm so bored... is anyone hiring these days?
JvG
Nothing says you have to become an idiot, just because you're retired!
Just wait until a snowy Monday morning during the rush hour, that's
the sweetest of all :)
Mike Spencer
2017-08-12 06:58:09 UTC
Omg I have nothing to do. I'm so bored... is anyone hiring these days?
I retired when I was 27. Haven't worked for someone else for longer
than 3 months for nearly 50 years. Have never been bored. I think
there's hope for your future. :-) May you have a long one.

Oh, and congratulations!
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
jvangurp
2017-08-12 20:54:11 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by jvangurp
Omg I have nothing to do. I'm so bored... is anyone hiring these days?
I retired when I was 27. Haven't worked for someone else for longer
than 3 months for nearly 50 years. Have never been bored. I think
there's hope for your future. :-) May you have a long one.
Oh, and congratulations!
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
That sounds really nice Mike. I worked for myself for a few years back in the early 80s. I did a lot of contracted technical illustration and drafting and graphic design and so on. Also some print production before the days of computer layout. I did actual cut and paste with an Xacto knife and rubber cement. I even had a silk screening shop on Windsor Street with a little retail section that I shared with a commercial Taylor who produced Sports clothing and interesting stuff like that.

I had good years and bad years but at a certain point I realize there was no way in hell I was going to make a good living at this, especially with AutoCAD looming around the corner. So following my dad's advice I always kept an application in at the federal and provincial civil service commissions. Well didn't I see a job opening at the federal public works department for land survey draftsman, which I had plenty of training and experience in. So I applied, and while I didn't get it, at the invitation of the hiring manager I kept checking back every month or so to see if they had any work. After around 8 months he confirmed that yes indeed I can be taken on for a six-month term position.

30 years and many, many courses and a few job competitions later I'm retiring as a senior real estate advisor and sometimes acting regional manager with a pretty terrific salary and benefits package, which now, of course, converts into a really nice pension. I think I did a pretty good job for much of the time, and a poor job for some of the time. I just hate the spreadsheets and stupidity of managing finances with fake money. I loved managing staff and working with the public and always feeling like I gave everyone a fair shake and even handed treatment. Staff respected me and seemed to enjoy having me as manager. In many of my deals, I felt like I was channelling money from Ottawa to rural Nova Scotia communities and that felt right.

Working in an office sure sucks the life out of you, but I'm sitting pretty now. It was a bit of a gamble hoping that the shitty office work environment wouldn't cause permanent health issues and that I'll have plenty of retirement years left to enjoy the generous pension. So fingers crossed it all continues to work out.

Cheers!!!
JvG
Mike Spencer
2017-08-13 05:19:18 UTC
That sounds really nice Mike.
[snip]
I had good years and bad years but at a certain point I realize there
was no way in hell I was going to make a good living at this...
[snip]
30 years and many, many courses and a few job competitions later I'm
retiring as a senior real estate advisor and sometimes acting regional
manager with a pretty terrific salary...
Right. I've *never* had a "terrific salary" as, at various times, an
artist, craftsman, tradesman and farmer. But I've never regretted the
choice.
Post by jvangurp
Working in an office sure sucks the life out of you...
I worked in an office for 6 weeks. I was just hanging out with a
friend at MIT but he had to be at his day job so he persuaded his team
to give me a carrel, computer and some manuals so I could be an
alpha-test guinea pig for their project. While I was there, I was in
the "office" from ca. 9:00 to 6:00 or 7:00 almost every day. Learned
a lot, mostly technical stuff but also that I was deeply grateful I
could leave any time I wanted.

Here's an example of what I missed by being only a visitor. My friend
once interviewed a very presentable guy who had a PhD and other chops.
On the phone to one of the guy's references, he was told by a former
employer, "That guy is the worst employee I've ever had. If you hire
him I will never speak to you again in either a social or a
professional capacity." But he hired the guy anyway on the basis of
his qualifications. They guy soon became a problem for the team and
in a just a few years was partly responsible for pushing my friend out
of his job.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada