2017 sucked!
2017-12-31 17:02:31 UTC
OK, on the plus side, J-V-G retired.

Other than that, you know how you often buy things around the same
time and they can therefore burn/wear out around the same time? Well, I
didn't buy ALL this stuff at the same time, but in 2017 I had to replace:

(1) A 50" TV
(2) An electric kettle
(3) A HP laser printer
(4) An espresso machine
(5) A toaster
(6) A weather sensor array (not a cheap thermometer . . . a Davis
Vantage Vue ISS)
(7) 2 sets of taps
(8) Kitchen sink (really!)

Items that burnt out (or rotted away) and I didn't replace yet:

(1) Windows computer (6 years old and won't ever be replaced)
(2) Swing set (this spring)
(3) Picnic table (this spring)

None of the above were cheap Chinese junk . . . but they were 10-15
years old and wore out. Or they decided to let the magic smoke out of
them during the year, and without it they won't work! So they all got
replaced. In another 15 years (2032) I guess I'll have to replace them
again! :-)

That's 11 big things that busted . . . nearly one a month. 2018
ought to be better . . . :-(
Mike Spencer
2017-12-31 22:40:54 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
OK, on the plus side, J-V-G retired.
Other than that, you know how you often buy things around the same
time and they can therefore burn/wear out around the same time? Well, I
(1) A 50" TV
No TV, ergo don't have to replace it. Last one died circa 1978.
Post by HRM Resident
(2) An electric kettle
Never had one. Tea/coffee from an analog tea kettle on a propane
burner when the wood range isn't going.
Post by HRM Resident
(3) A HP laser printer
My Brother laser printer is 19 years old, will probably have to
replace it when the toner runs out and no new cartridge can be found.
Post by HRM Resident
(4) An espresso machine
Have had Moka pot for 40 years. Replacement gaskets appear to be
silicone, better and more durable that rubber ones of 40 years ago.
Post by HRM Resident
(5) A toaster
My electric toaster is 104 years old. I'm guessing my dad gave it a
new cord around 1960. I replaced the wall plug in the 80s.
Post by HRM Resident
(6) A weather sensor array (not a cheap thermometer
Have cheap thermometer 40 years old.
Post by HRM Resident
(7) 2 sets of taps
Jeez, how many things do you have to thread? .... Oh, right, faucets.
Sorry. :-)

No running water. have had to put new leathers in handpump once a
decade for 40 years, repair it twice.
Post by HRM Resident
(8) Kitchen sink (really!)
Had to buy new drain unit for kitchen sink twice in 40 years.
Post by HRM Resident
None of the above were cheap Chinese junk . . . but they were 10-15
years old and wore out.
Cellar sump pump failed in 2017. Silicon Graphics 19" CRT monitor
(gussing 20 years old, original price ca. $2500+, $25 for me) died,
replaced with 19" IBM of same vintage. Had to replace helve on my
splitting maul in 2017.
Post by HRM Resident
Or they decided to let the magic smoke out...
I was afraid the billow of smoke from my gen set was the Magic Smoke.
Happily not. Was exogenous smoke from discarded snake skin trapped
and fried in the circuit. Gen set all OK.

Now: If only 75 year old body parts were as durable and as easily
repaired or replaced!
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
jvangurp
Haha Mike! Really enjoyed building up a picture of your home. No running water though? Seriously?
Mike Spencer
2018-01-02 21:19:20 UTC
No running water though? Seriously?
Well, we had a neighbor, since deceased, who had running water. Took
a bucket, ran to the well to fetch it. We have the convenience of a
hand pump at the kitchen sink.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
jvangurp
2018-01-03 15:06:06 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by jvangurp
No running water though? Seriously?
Well, we had a neighbor, since deceased, who had running water. Took
a bucket, ran to the well to fetch it. We have the convenience of a
hand pump at the kitchen sink.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
I think that's just amazing and wonderful!
Best wishes to you,
John
HRM Resident
2018-01-03 16:56:54 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by jvangurp
No running water though? Seriously?
Well, we had a neighbor, since deceased, who had running water. Took
a bucket, ran to the well to fetch it. We have the convenience of a
hand pump at the kitchen sink.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
I think that's just amazing and wonderful!
Best wishes to you,
John
Agreed! In some ways, Mike is better of than most of us in that
he's not 100% tied to electricity. I recall those hand pumps, but we
never had one when I was a kid . . . by then it was an old Duro pump.

Good thing about the hand pump is it only requires priming
occasionally and elbow grease . . . no electricity!
2018-01-02 13:09:07 UTC
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 13:02:31 -0400, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Try the positive side, they served well and it's unlikely you will
have to replace their replacements :)

I still like my windows computer, even with Cat10, (I feel the cat
walked over the keyboard at some crucial point as I came home to find
it in the middle of downloading Win10 but I am adapted to it now)
however I bought a newer tablet in the a sale at Best Buy and now
wonder if there is an Android usenet reader. Must ask on the agent
group.
jvangurp
2018-01-02 19:31:26 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Oh man!... that's a lot of stuff breaking down all in one year! Well, at least you got to update things.