Medical situation in NS
2017-11-23 16:38:15 UTC
Did you notice it was well crossposted?
can.politics,ns.general,hfx.general,rec.sports.motorcycles,alt.motorcyles.harley,alt.true-crime
I was just saved by the bell, talking of doctors, my doctor retired
but typical of her, she replaced herself with another doctor.
Same deal here 3-4 years ago except the "replacement" lasted 5-6
months and took off to Ontario. I'm one of the 50K (or 100K depending
on who's numbers you believe) on the waiting list. All I have ard ERs
and walk-in clinics. No idea if any of my blood chemistry is out of
whack, if I am a borderline diabetic, etc. These sort of things don't
get picked up unless you have a regular doctor. I bought a BP machine
and I do that much myself . . . and I eat right, exercise and keep my
weight within the recommended limits based on my height. That's all I
can do until I start passing blood somewhere, get chest pains, pass out,
whatever. I can't do any preventative maintenance or check-ups. Yet I
paid taxes for others to obtain these services for 5 decades.

I voted for the current provincial government in the last two
elections based on their promises to provide every Nova Scotian a family
health professional. I even talked to my MLA for over an hour a few
months before the election about this situation. Lots of promises and
blame on previous governments. He got re-elected and as far as I can
tell, we have less doctors in Nova Scotia than we had just months ago on
election day. They didn't deliver, and depending on who one listens to,
the situation could be a heck of a lot worse than what's being reported.
I won't vote for them again because they chose to spend money on the
Bluenose and subsidise the Yarmouth ferry instead of putting funding
toward health care.

At the federal level, recall Jim Flaherty's "take it or leave it"
comment when he and Harper slashed health care transfer funds and
delivered the "good" news as an ultimatum? That was heartless and what
I'd expect from their CRAP ultra-right wing "pay for it yourself or die"
mentality. However, Justin Trudeau has had 2 years to reverse it, and
instead he appears to have renewed the Harper/Flaherty health care
funding cuts.

Let's face it. Gen-X and the Millennials are now running the show
and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Don't expect
health care to improve in our lifetime . . . the majority of them are
young and healthy and would rather pay less taxes. In 30-40 years
whoever is left may be tripping over doctors and nurses and complaining
that all the good real estate is packed with half-full hospitals . . .
or they might have the private health care they seem to prefer and they
can pay for it themselves.

I really regret the 40-45 years I spent paying taxes to provide
food, lodging, education, summer camps and everything else we gave those
ingrates, including health care . . . who are now clapping their hands
in glee waiting for their parents to die and leave them $$! :-(
2017-11-23 20:55:03 UTC
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:38:15 -0400, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Lol, you gave me a laugh :) The situation is going to get worse
speedily. My retired doctor was probably only nearing 60 and they say
there are large numbers of doctors in her age category. Unfortunately
her replacement, though very nice and very much my type of doctor,
doesn't look young enough to see me out :(
HRM Resident
2017-11-24 15:44:32 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
The intent was to create levity by exaggerating the situation a bit
. . . until I re-read it and by golly it's spot on! If you ain't got a
doctor in NS now, better start studying home remedies because our tax
dollars are being spent on other things we don't want or need.

I collected a bunch of leeches over the summer. My wife is taking
a blood letting course. In terms of cancer, I checked the Internet and
they suggest an ointment made of goat's gall and honey, and if that
fails, they suggest incinerating a dog’s skull and powdering the
patient’s skin with the ashes.

So now I gotta go find a goat, an old dog and some honey . . .

Oh yeah, holding the key of a church door is a remedy against the
bite of a mad dog, and the touch of a hanged man's hand cures goitre and
tumours. Damn! We don't hang people in Canada anymore . . . is that a
violation of the Charter in that we are being denied a cure for goitre
and tumours? Will Medicare pay for me to go to a country where they
still hang people so I can get the cancer cure?

Maybe this slashing of health care funding is forcing us to find
the real cures that work instead of listening to big pharma and reading
on-line medical blogs. Or we can wait until July 2018 and start smoking
weed every waking moment, which reportedly cures everything and will
make us immortal.
2017-11-24 15:55:57 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Thanks for a good morning laugh :) I think you should consider
turning into a gluten free vegan or somesuch, that way in extreme old
age you can presumably die of nothing :)
HRM Resident
2017-11-25 13:37:40 UTC
Thanks for a good morning laugh :) I think you should consider
turning into a gluten free vegan or somesuch, that way in extreme old
age you can presumably die of nothing :)
That's something to look forward to! I don't see adopting any
"extreme" diet, but you never know. Most of these things don't work. I
wonder if there are any stats that show vegans live longer than
non-vegans. If so, I wonder how they adjusted the results to compensate
for other life styles. You know, a vegan is likely to exercise more,
not smoke and drink, etc. So is it the lack of "vices" or the vegan
diet that increases potential lifespan, if at all?

I only know one hard-core vegan . . . a 75-year old who swears he's
never tasted an animal product in his life . . . I think his rule of
thumb is, "If it has a face, or comes out of something with a face, I
don't eat it." Well, he's 75, but he also has a box of 15-20 bottles of
vitamins and supplements to take daily so as to fill in for the missing
things in his tofu and steamed rice diet. He never smoked or drank, so
did he make it to 75 because of the vegan lifestyle, or because he
didn't smoke or drink? Only his hairdresser knows for sure!
Wayne Hines
2017-11-26 11:15:39 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
At the federal level, recall Jim Flaherty's "take it or leave it"
comment when he and Harper slashed health care transfer funds and
delivered the "good" news as an ultimatum? That was heartless and what
I'd expect from their CRAP ultra-right wing "pay for it yourself or die"
mentality. However, Justin Trudeau has had 2 years to reverse it, and
instead he appears to have renewed the Harper/Flaherty health care
funding cuts.
( don't believe the Harper government actually "slashed health care
transfer funds". Under the Harper government, transfer payments continued
to increase at the previously-agreed 6% annually.

A revised funding formula, tying transfer payments to the GDP, either
took effect for the 2017-18 fiscal year, or comes into effect in 2018.
That will still provide a larger increase in funding than had the
increase been tied to the annual inflation rate.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
HRM Resident
2017-11-26 14:01:13 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
So we are getting the same or more federal health care money than
we did with the previous 10-year Martin agreement. Thanks for
clarifying that. Do you have a family physician?
Wayne Hines
2017-11-26 15:14:49 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I read somewhere that federal funding used to cover 25% of provincial
health care spending and now it covers 30% of provincial health care
spending.

After years of not having a family doctor, we got lucky when a couple of
doctors set up a "collaborative" shop in Windsor and started taking new
patients several years ago. This was before the current list of people
without doctors was started.
I used to care but things have changed.
Wayne Hines
2017-11-26 22:05:39 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
I voted for the current provincial government in the last two
elections based on their promises to provide every Nova Scotian a family
health professional. I even talked to my MLA for over an hour a few
months before the election about this situation. Lots of promises and
blame on previous governments. He got re-elected and as far as I can
tell, we have less doctors in Nova Scotia than we had just months ago on
election day. They didn't deliver, and depending on who one listens to,
the situation could be a heck of a lot worse than what's being reported.
Word is the strings of the puppets at Nova Scotia Health are being
controlled directly from the Premier's Office. That would explain why our
famous Maytag Repair Man got so upset over the Auditor General's report.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
HRM Resident
2017-11-27 14:03:47 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
I voted for the current provincial government in the last two
elections based on their promises to provide every Nova Scotian a family
health professional. I even talked to my MLA for over an hour a few
months before the election about this situation. Lots of promises and
blame on previous governments. He got re-elected and as far as I can
tell, we have less doctors in Nova Scotia than we had just months ago on
election day. They didn't deliver, and depending on who one listens to,
the situation could be a heck of a lot worse than what's being reported.
Word is the strings of the puppets at Nova Scotia Health are being
controlled directly from the Premier's Office. That would explain why our
famous Maytag Repair Man got so upset over the Auditor General's report.
gwh
"Word is" = "a lot of people are saying" = "people think" = "some
say" = "many believe." Sounds like the narrator on The Curse of Oak
Island!

Politicians and others who want to spread things around without
facts frequently couch controversial comments this way, which allows
them to share a controversial idea, a piece of tabloid gossip or
conspiracy theory** without actually embracing it. That idea could have
come from an anonymous Twitter account, for all I know. Might it be
possible that it isn't true? :-)

I haven't seen any evidence "strings of the puppets at Nova Scotia
Health are being controlled directly from the Premier's Office." They
may be, but using those kind of qualifiers allows people to spread
rumours without owning them . . . like Trump does . . . always leave an
escape route. "I didn't say that! Word is that it's happening, but I
didn't say it!"

** To clarify, I'm NOT sticking up for the current provincial
government's handling of health care in Nova Scotia. It's degraded to
an unacceptable level. I just don't see the need to spread things
around couched with phrases that are always in lock-step with conspiracy
theories. Instead of spreading rumours, I'll vote for another party
next election.
2017-11-27 15:08:54 UTC
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 10:03:47 -0400, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I have always changed my vote as I felt necessary, though it's quite
some time since I have voted conservative, mostly because when McKay
did the deal they were - IMO - no longer 'progressive' conservatives
and I stay a mile away from any control by western religious nutcases.
As far as NS went, Baillie seemed too wishy washy, nice but wishy
washy.

I was dismayed that young though Houston is, he was implicated in the
Paradise Papers bunch. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, I think he is
an accountant by trade.
HRM Resident
2017-11-27 17:22:56 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I thought he was a shoe-in for the leadership when he announced he
was interested. Those Paradise Papers sure are causing a lot of angst
among those who choose not to pay their taxes. Maybe we ought to revoke
the citizenship of people caught evading taxes . . . obviously they
don't like Canada or they'd help pay to keep it a great country like the
rest of us do.
Wayne Hines
2017-11-27 22:41:15 UTC
I was dismayed that young though Houston is, he was implicated in the
Paradise Papers bunch. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, I think he is
an accountant by trade.
But, look who "implicated" him. The provincial NDP. I think they're
worried the PC's under Houston would mean a significant loss of seats for
the NDP in the next election.

Houston lived in Bermuda (I think it was) for about a dozen years and was
employed there by an insurance company that apparently handled offshore
investments.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
l***@fl.it
2017-11-27 22:47:58 UTC
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:41:15 GMT, Wayne Hines
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by l***@fl.it
I was dismayed that young though Houston is, he was implicated in the
Paradise Papers bunch. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, I think he is
an accountant by trade.
But, look who "implicated" him. The provincial NDP. I think they're
worried the PC's under Houston would mean a significant loss of seats for
the NDP in the next election.
Houston lived in Bermuda (I think it was) for about a dozen years and was
employed there by an insurance company that apparently handled offshore
investments.
gwh
I didn't know who implicated him, but it was sufficient that he was
exposed and didn't try to deny it. Disappointing, thought he was
something new and fresh and not already hooked into all the craftiness
of politicians.
Wayne Hines
2017-12-01 11:11:40 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by Wayne Hines
Word is the strings of the puppets at Nova Scotia Health are being
controlled directly from the Premier's Office. That would explain why
our famous Maytag Repair Man got so upset over the Auditor General's
report.
gwh
"Word is" = "a lot of people are saying" = "people think" = "some
say" = "many believe." Sounds like the narrator on The Curse of Oak
Island!
Mpstly going on what Pat Dunn told the Hants West PC association annual
meeting last week. He told the meeting the PCs had proof the Premier's
Office is calling the shots at Nova Scotia Health. Any clarification
would have to come from your friendly neighbourhood PC MLA or the
Premier's Office.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
HRM Resident
2017-12-01 13:42:06 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
"Word is" = "a lot of people are saying" = "people think" = "some
say" = "many believe." Sounds like the narrator on The Curse of Oak
Island!
Mpstly going on what Pat Dunn told the Hants West PC association annual
meeting last week. He told the meeting the PCs had proof the Premier's
Office is calling the shots at Nova Scotia Health. Any clarification
would have to come from your friendly neighbourhood PC MLA or the
Premier's Office.
gwh
Pat Dunn is a member of the opposition. I don't think he's privy
to the communications to/from the premier's office. However, his JOB is
to make the government of the day look bad, so of course he's going to
say something like that to loyal PCs.

He might be on to something. If he is, he ought to provide the
public with his proof. If he does, I'll vote PC next election. As long
as it's just the mention of proof, and only to a hall full of people who
despise the current government, it falls into the same category as "word
is" = "a lot of people are saying" = "people think" = "some say" = "many
believe."

My guess is the response from Mr Dunn and everyone else who think
he's right is going to be some variant of "We have proof, and we're just
waiting for the right time to release it." The right time is now. I
don't have a doctor. Neither do 50-100K other people in NS. Show me
Pat Dunn's proof the premier is behind keeping the doctor shortage
alive, and I'll vote PC.
Mike Small
2017-12-01 16:26:43 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
My guess is the response from Mr Dunn and everyone else who think
he's right is going to be some variant of "We have proof, and we're
just waiting for the right time to release it." The right time is
now. I don't have a doctor. Neither do 50-100K other people in NS.
Show me Pat Dunn's proof the premier is behind keeping the doctor
shortage alive, and I'll vote PC.
What of the NDP? Hmmm, something's nagging at the edge of my
consciousness that my Mom told me of them not representing themselves
well when they had a shot at power but I can't quite remember. Perhaps
the provincial PCs are different now but my memory of the Conservatives
doesn't make me associate them with fixing the Health Care system
somehow. Or is the issue now one of incentives to keep people and the
thought that they might be more generous to doctors in how they tax or
in other ways? I'd think encouraging immigration could be an answer, and
the rightmost party tends to be against that in most places, though
perhaps not so much when it comes to nabbing other country's educated
professionals.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
Mike Spencer
2017-12-01 20:24:34 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Pat Dunn is a member of the opposition. I don't think he's privy
to the communications to/from the premier's office. However, his JOB is
to make the government of the day look bad, so of course he's going to
say something like that to loyal PCs.
Just to be picky here with your choice of words, without denigrating
the rest of what you wrote:

His job is to hold the party in power accountable for their actions
and, insofar as possible, ensure that what they do is the best
possible in the interests of the NS public.

To say that his job is to make the sitting government look bad is to
start down the same hyperpartisan, malfeasnt road to which US
Republicans are now deeply committed, the on-ramp to which was evinced
by:

The single most important thing we want to achieve is
for President Obama to be a one-term president.
-- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell

That pronouncement forever declared McConnell as belonging to the
party of scum and invited the rest of the GOP to the same table. To
the extent that opposition MLAs see their job merely as "making the
government look bad", to that extent they put themselves in the same
partisan, malfeasant basket with scum. Yes, we have plenty of scum in
Canadian politics but that's their choice, not the job for which they
were elected.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
HRM Resident
2017-12-02 13:37:46 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by HRM Resident
Pat Dunn is a member of the opposition. I don't think he's privy
to the communications to/from the premier's office. However, his JOB is
to make the government of the day look bad, so of course he's going to
say something like that to loyal PCs.
Just to be picky here with your choice of words, without denigrating
His job is to hold the party in power accountable for their actions
and, insofar as possible, ensure that what they do is the best
possible in the interests of the NS public.
I agree with the theory, Mike. That's how it's supposed to work.
That said, every "not a member of the governing party" MP or MLA in
Canada appears to be unable to ever say anything good about the
governing party. Regardless of who's in power, the opposition uses
every means of communication available (Question Period, all the TV
political shows, the 24/7 cable news channels, newspapers, radio talk
shows, every social media platform invented, including Usenet) to
disparage the government.

I need to qualify that slightly. If a very famous and good
Canadian politician or former leader dies or is hurt in some way, on
RARE occasions all members will say something good about them . . . and
once every 10-20 years they'll have a free vote on something
controversial like the death penalty where the members usually don't
fight along party lines. However, 99.9% of the actions by opposition
MPs and MLAs are designed to make the government of the day look bad.

I used a poor choice of words. It's not their JOB to make the
government look bad at every opportunity. As you say, in theory it's
their job to hold the government accountable. In practice, they do this
by criticizing EVERYTHING the government does. Everything. So as to
clarify my meaning, I'll reword it:

The job of the opposition MPs and MLAs is to hold the government
accountable for their actions AND they do this by doing everything in
their power to make the government look bad. Have you ever heard an
opposition MP or MLA say and government did a good job on a specific
bill or decision? Ever? Here in Canada?

It's not unique to Conservatives, Liberals, NDP or Greens. They
all attack whoever is in power incessantly. And I don't believe EVERY
government, even Stephen Harper's, did everything 100% wrong . . . yet
find a single Liberal, NDP, or Green who will list of 1-2 things Harper
did that were good.

I'm not a Conservative, and I'll start:

(1) Got rid of the penny
(2) . . . can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm
sure he wasn't evil personified as every opposition member said for
10-12 years.

After all that, I do agree the GOP in the US has taken hate and
ultra-partisanship to a new level that won't end well for them at the
ballot box in 2018. But that's their country and their problem . . .
Mike Small
2017-11-27 20:07:56 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
I voted for the current provincial government in the last two
elections based on their promises to provide every Nova Scotian a
family health professional. I even talked to my MLA for over an hour
a few months before the election about this situation. Lots of
promises and blame on previous governments. He got re-elected and as
far as I can tell, we have less doctors in Nova Scotia than we had
just months ago on election day. They didn't deliver, and depending
on who one listens to, the situation could be a heck of a lot worse
than what's being reported. I won't vote for them again because they
chose to spend money on the Bluenose and subsidise the Yarmouth ferry
instead of putting funding toward health care.
Bad news on this front as I hear U.S. customs and immigration
enforcement is demanding a facilities upgrade on the Portland end, which
a local newspaper there suggests could threaten the ferry service. They
estimate Portland would have to pay $7 million U.S. for it. If my
understanding is correct of how willing Maine has been to subsidize this
thing, my guess is they'll be sending the bill to the McNeil government
to see if he might be interested in picking up the tab again.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
l***@fl.it
2017-11-27 20:25:49 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
It's the wrong ferry in the first place, smaller more ordinary craft
and as it used to be Yarmouth to Bar Harbour, would make much more
sense. Currently it is so expensive to travel on, it makes driving
round look attractive.
Mike Small
2017-11-28 02:06:19 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Bad news on this front as I hear U.S. customs and immigration
enforcement is demanding a facilities upgrade on the Portland end, which
a local newspaper there suggests could threaten the ferry service. They
estimate Portland would have to pay $7 million U.S. for it. If my
understanding is correct of how willing Maine has been to subsidize this
thing, my guess is they'll be sending the bill to the McNeil government
to see if he might be interested in picking up the tab again.
It's the wrong ferry in the first place, smaller more ordinary craft
and as it used to be Yarmouth to Bar Harbour, would make much more
sense. Currently it is so expensive to travel on, it makes driving
round look attractive.
For Maine to South Shore NS tourism that may be true. For me the current
system is pretty good, since I can take a bus or train from Boston to
Portland and don't have to get a car until Yarmouth. Technically I don't
have to then either, but the guy who drives the shuttle from there to
Halifax charges around as much as a rental car and leaves very early, so
I never tried that option. Getting from Boston to Bar Harbour for the
ferry used to be problematic (even though I had a car in those
days). I'd stay in Bangor and get up early for the boat. Don't know why
I did it since once you add that motel you might as well have flown. I
think I was pissed off at Air Canada for the prices they could
charge. This is better now, maybe because of Westjet running that route
or maybe the lower fuel costs, I don't know.

Was chatting with my son's Mom about this story of the ferry being in
jeopardy, and we figured we'd like it to leave from Boston. Though
looking at a map, maybe Gloucester would be a better point of
departure. The commuter rail goes from Boston to Gloucester for only
around $11 U.S. And with the temperature of the water in the Gulf of
Maine changing so quickly now, with the effect that has on Cod stocks,
maybe they need the jobs over there. Boston has little need for such
pork. I think Bar Harbour is something they're considering though.

McNeil will be down here Thursday for the tree lighting, maybe I should
try to flag him down and ask him to talk to the Governor about running
the ferry out of Gloucester (well, no, that sounds like a good way to be
arrested). There are many many more potential tourists and with much
more money around here than there are in Maine. We also connect up with
NYC via cheap buses and trains. I bet there are hordes of people who
would never visit NS as long as the flight costs more than one to
Ireland that would actually consider it with cheaper rail/ferry/rental
car (or maybe more with shorter drive to the ferry). NS should tell
Maine to stuff it the way they keep taking advantage of you on this.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
l***@fl.it
2017-11-28 16:19:01 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by l***@fl.it
Post by Mike Small
[...]
I certainly agree with that last sentiment - Portland has really been
creative in charging NS for this and that. If you want to (safely)
get a message to McNeil - try this.

***@ns.aliantzinc.ca You will get a response but do
remember to tell us what it is :)
HRM Resident
2017-11-28 17:22:22 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by l***@fl.it
Post by Mike Small
[...]
A little research shows the ferry outfit got subsidies of $23.3
million in 2015. We then we gave them $39.5 million in 2016/2017.
That's $62.8 million in total or roughly $21 million a year for the past
3 years.

The only arguments I heard in favour was it created a few jobs
running the thing -- AND the big one -- it creates a lot of tourism.

Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't. Is there any number to tell
us how much US tourists arriving by ferry spend in NS every year? Is
there any possible way to know? The reason for asking is simple. If we
get, say $5 million a year in US ferry tourist revenue, why are we
spending $21 million to get it? If we get $100 million, then the $21
million is a great investment . . . but no one knows and there seems to
be no way to ever find out.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most Nova Scotians
without a doctor, and those on multi-year waiting lists for surgery,
don't see the math adding up. Might it be possible that some person
waiting for open-heart surgery doesn't care if a B & B in Digby or
Shelburne isn't full to capacity every evening with US ferry tourists? I
bet the people in Cape Breton who can't get timely cancer treatment
don't give a damn how many US ferry tourists drive around the Cabot
Trail, either.

But that's just me . . .
2017-11-28 17:43:59 UTC
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:22:22 -0400, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
Post by Mike Small
Post by l***@fl.it
Post by Mike Small
[...]
No, I'll agree with you - in any circumstances 'priorities' should win
out. I went to get some toys for little kids (it's coming up Xmas :(
this a.m. I also happened to see a jacket I would have liked, not a
bad price but I said to me, too much to be spent on Xmas, try your
luck in January sales :)

That's the principal on which provincial and federal spending should
be based, but it never is. Way back when, I think a Conservative
Premier didn't want to say no ferry, and nobody else has dared since,
so one can't blame a premier of any stripe.
Mike Small
2017-11-29 02:04:44 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
No, it does seem a bit of a boondoggle, even if it happens to be a nice
convenience for me personally. But I gather Yarmouth suffered greatly
when it stopped running for awhile. Still, better that Yarmouthians go
down the road than people lack doctors, if those are the choices. Is
there any talk of Yarmouth getting offshore wind projects? That would be
better than propping them up with tourism I'd think.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
HRM Resident
2017-11-30 16:04:19 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I've only been to Yarmouth a few times, and I don't recall there
being a lot there to attract tourists. I believe the ferry is located
there because it's the closest port between Maine and NS. I think the
tourism angle is to provide an entry point to Nova Scotia (and the rest
of the Maritimes to a lesser degree) by vehicle for rich US tourists.

My point was that I can think of no metric to judge how much US
tourists arriving by ferry via Yarmouth spend in Canada, particularly
Nova Scotia. I can't imagine the entire economy of Yarmouth depends on
that ferry . . . I bet most tourists head for Peggy's Cove, Halifax,
Cape Breton, etc shortly after arriving in Yarmouth. How much they
spend here is a mystery.

I wasn't arguing to make an absolute swap of "ferry money" for
"doctor money" just yet. My impression was, and still is, that our tax
dollars would be better spent on health care than on the ferry UNLESS
someone can convince me that it's generating MORE than $21 million a
year that we are subsidising it. If we are generating a lot more than
we are subsidising, then the tourist taxes may help health care . . .
but seeing as it's just a gut feeling by a few in power and no one
really knows . . . maybe we should inject $21 million a year more into
health care and ditch the subsidies to the ferry. If indeed the ferries
are bringing us a fortune in tourist generated wealth, then someone from
their company or the provincial government ought to show us the books to
prove it.
Mike Small
2017-12-06 18:05:25 UTC
Post by Mike Small
[...]
No response yet. Maybe I should have yelled something out at the tree
lighting. It would have been awfully confusing for the audience and
probably the premier, though. I mentioned in an online survey
commissioned by Bay Ferries how they should go to / leave from
Massachusetts. But they, like me, are beneficiaries of the Nova Scotia
tax payer's largesse, and unlike me make out as well whereever it leaves
from, so not sure why'd they care about that.

Was the tree lighting on television up there by the way? We had all
kinds of sound problems and the tree itself, from my vantagepoint, was
hidden behind some bigger deciduous trees, oak or something of that kind
that's slow to drop its leaves. Kind of a dud of a celebration given it
being the 100th anniversary of the explosion. One of the bands you sent
down, Port Cities, was pretty good.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
l***@fl.it
Yes it was on tv but I didn't watch, only saw clips on the local news.
Mike Spencer
2017-11-28 05:54:38 UTC
It's the wrong ferry in the first place, smaller more ordinary craft
and as it used to be Yarmouth to Bar Harbour, would make much more
sense. Currently it is so expensive to travel on, it makes driving
round look attractive.
There're bus connections between Portland and Boston so the Portland
ferry was convenient for low-budget travel, plus or minus the cost of
a cabin on the night run. No public transport to/from Bar Harbor so
that was okay for a driver but not foot passengers. (Bus connections
at the Yarmouth end were so poorly coordinated with the Portland ferry
that I suspect deliberate contrivance to keep travellers in Yarmouth
overnight.)

But in later years, the Portland ferry wasn't about transportation, it
was about suckers with money to burn on overpriced food & drink,
trinkets and expecially on gambling.

Haven't kept up so I dunno about recent, current or planned versions.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Mike Small
2017-11-28 15:47:34 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
But in later years, the Portland ferry wasn't about transportation, it
was about suckers with money to burn on overpriced food & drink,
trinkets and expecially on gambling.
The new one doesn't have the slot machines. They do have a fairly
expensive menu, but it comes from a restaurant / café north of Yarmouth
that I quite like, especially their oat cakes, so I don't fault them
that. I didn't notice whether the drink price was inflated. I don't
generally drink alcohol except when not doing so would make someone
uncomfortable or make her abstain when she clearly doesn't want
to. There's a gift shop onboard but I haven't seen it doing a very brisk
business. Years ago my son scored a plush lobster there but nothing
since. Last summer they had a couple of musicians play Celtic music,
which was a nice touch. They let my son (and others) try to play spoons
along with them, very nice and patient men that they are.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org