Mobile payment for parking meters
2017-12-02 11:37:03 UTC
Did anyone see this article? It's this new mobile payment application for smartphones allowing you to pay for parking meters electronically. It has a whole lot of really great features like remote alerts when your time is running down, the ability to top-up your time from your phone, and some kind of a feature allowing you to automatically add time if you're going to run out.

Even though I seldom use parking meters downtown I thought this is a brilliant idea and downloaded the app. I went through the installation procedure and got as far as the $20 annual subscription, guffawed quite loudly, and uninstalled the damn thing. I'm definitely not going to pay a fee in order to pay a fee. It probably makes sense for people who park frequently, but I haven't had a parking meter ticket for 25 years. There are all kinds of reports of people who continue to get billed even after they believe they had canceled the service. It gets very low ratings in the Google Play Store. My bet is that the city will release some kind of free version within a year or two.

https://www.halifax.ca/home/news/mobile-payment-parking-launches-dec-4-2017-0

Cheers,
John
l***@fl.it
2017-12-02 12:40:28 UTC
[...]
Same would apply to me regards how often I use them etc. I recently
had a parking ticket at the Hydrostone. I get all my yarn at the
great yarn store there. In the summer they allow the restaurant to
tie up five or six parking spots, then there are now parkers who are
just running across the green to the bloody Starbucks, so I parked
with my two front wheels a bit past the No Parking Beyond this Sign
space.

I went in, picked up the yarn, paid with my debit card and dashed out
to find this bloody female parking metre person ticketing my car! She
must have seen me going in the store as she walked down the line.

I asked her if she had seen me go in three minutes ago and she started
laughing and saying ha ha gotcha! I paid it by cheque (hope that was
inconvenient for them!) that day but put a very rude letter in for
HRM to ask them if they were against small business owners like Louise
with her yarn store? Not only did it not make sense but the fact she
thought it was so damned funny, really got through to me. However I
am told nobody has seen her there since, so I hope!