NS and NB hypercard stack
Mike Small
2017-08-15 00:14:00 UTC
Was looking on archive.org for something to watch while I eat supper and
happened on this:
https://archive.org/details/hypercard_nova-scotia--new-brunswick

Neat, eh?
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
jvangurp
2017-08-15 14:57:08 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Was looking on archive.org for something to watch while I eat supper and
https://archive.org/details/hypercard_nova-scotia--new-brunswick
Neat, eh?
--
Mike Small
Mike, what are we looking at? I just briefly checked it out and it seems to be an emulator for an old MacIntosh database or application of some kind created by a young person in the very early days of personal computing.

Very interesting!

Cheers,
John
Mike Small
2017-08-15 15:58:17 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Was looking on archive.org for something to watch while I eat supper and
https://archive.org/details/hypercard_nova-scotia--new-brunswick
Neat, eh?
--
Mike Small
Mike, what are we looking at? I just briefly checked it out and it
seems to be an emulator for an old MacIntosh database or application
of some kind created by a young person in the very early days of
personal computing.
Very interesting!
Hypercard was a technology used to create hyperlinked documents on
Macintosh systems, back before there was a world wide web. archive.org
has various emulators that run through a web browser, including this Mac
emulator, so you can run start up this old Macintosh environment in your
web browser, find the folder where the (then) student's hypercard
project is stored and read his writings on the economy, history and
geography of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Quite impressive, I
thought. I've never looked at what's involved in creating a hypercard
stack, but to do that along with the research for the normal school
report, that was great work on his part. This is part of a new project
on archive.org to preserve whatever hypercard stacks are available in
the public domain or under a license that allows distribution. I didn't
see what license this was released under, but presumably if it was the
author uploading it he's not going to pursue people for copyright
violations.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
jvangurp
2017-08-16 21:24:00 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by jvangurp
Post by Mike Small
[...]
Thanks Mike! The hypercard stack background in itself was super interesting. I didn't actually browse the information though. Hope you stick around the newsgroup.

Cheers,
John
Mike Small
2017-08-17 15:16:58 UTC
jvangurp <***@gmail.com> writes:
Thanks Mike! The hypercard stack background in itself was super
interesting. I didn't actually browse the information though. Hope you
stick around the newsgroup.
Oh, I'll probably be around, lurking if nothing else. I've been feeling
more and more like I want some kind of connection with Halifax (where I
mostly grew up and went to University), not to mention USENET.

I'd even tried to reconnect to Chebucto Community Net, thinking there
were local forums on there that a person could access from elsewhere on
the internet through an ssh session as opposed to dialup. Not sure it
actually works that way, though. I donated the bit of money they ask
that you validate/register with, but then I was either too late getting
around to finishing the registation or it doesn't work the way I thought
it did, technically. Oh well, the donation can be for the years I used
it for internet when I was young.

Then I had a dream last night that I quit my job and decided to go back
to school at Dalhousie. But the professors were puzzled what to advise
me to do, because I wanted to do a masters in math while not remembering
any of my undergrad math or really having proper aptitude. Plus neither
of us thought there'd be much demand for a mathematician around Halifax
(don't know if that's true), nothing like the demand for a computer
programmer at any rate.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
jvangurp
2017-08-17 17:18:51 UTC
Post by Mike Small
[...]
Understood. I go back to Usenet from time to time, for instance in alt.support.stop-smoking where I spent many hours starting 16 or so years ago. ns.general was a major distraction as well, especially when I was a volunteer at the CCN (or CFN before that). This group has very limited traffic but there is a small group of die-hard users who will likely pick up on this conversation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/ is an active place for local discussion but it devolves from time to time. The mods do their best though, so maybe you'll enjoy it. The topics certainly are current and relevant to Halifax.

Daniel MacKay posts here on rare occasion. Maybe you know him from CS at Dal in the 80s? Dan was there when the whole thing was being brought online. In fact, he may have had a hand in setting up hfx.general way back when.

Cheers!
John (formerly ***@ccn.dal.ca)
l***@fl.it
2017-08-17 19:37:12 UTC
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:18:51 -0700 (PDT), jvangurp
Post by jvangurp
Post by Mike Small
[...]
I don't think so, I remember the chief instigator posted here for ages
but I can't remember his name - back then he was using his real name,
as was I, until Speirs did his stalking thing. I think it began with
an H, if it comes to me at 2 a.m. I'll post it :) If I had a way of
viewing floppy disks, I could find it as I put a lot of the Speirs
nonsense on to a couple of them. I still have a box of them, just
can't bring myself to chuck them :) Chebucto is still going because
Bonner still has an addy there - maybe he could help. He's over on FB
these days, surprising for a DOS advocate :)