surveillance cameras
2017-10-13 12:43:46 UTC
Remember all the arguments on .general about surveillance cameras? I
recall Rick Walker always insisted 'If you're not doing anything
wrong, why do you care?' - I always responded with 'Depends who is
doing the watching' - so this a.m. with regard to the school cams in
Cape Breton I wondered if he is having a rethink now.

Russians watching our school kids?? Just like the man in the UK who
was charged because someone watching the cameras in a mall didn't like
the use of the F word on his Tshirt !

Cameras that check your speed are one thing but these are another.
HRM Resident
2017-10-13 20:09:16 UTC
Remember all the arguments on .general about surveillance cameras? I
recall Rick Walker always insisted 'If you're not doing anything
wrong, why do you care?' - I always responded with 'Depends who is
doing the watching' - so this a.m. with regard to the school cams in
Cape Breton I wondered if he is having a rethink now.
Russians watching our school kids?? Just like the man in the UK who
was charged because someone watching the cameras in a mall didn't like
the use of the F word on his Tshirt !
Cameras that check your speed are one thing but these are another.
I'm glad I'm not 20-25 right now. With any luck, we'll all be long
gone before WW III and all the peeping Toms that the alt.right
ding-a-lings embrace. For the first time in my life, I truly believe we
are going to see a war . . . absolutely unnecessary, but it's being
provoked.

The survivors will be wailing Jefferson's warning "Those who give
up freedom for security deserve and receive neither."
2017-10-13 20:52:25 UTC
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:09:16 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Not wishing to be controversial but I thought it was :)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
Benjamin Franklin
HRM Resident
2017-10-14 15:39:00 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
I stand corrected! I knew it was one of those US "founding
fathers" or whatever they call them, and I rattled off the quote from
memory. Wrong on both counts, but the messages is essentially the same.

The sad thing is we are heading down that path and on one seems to
care . . . or those that have figured it out can't do a damn thing to
stop it. Mark my words, war is in the air. It's like 1910-1914 or
1933-1939.

I did look this one up!

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." - George
Santayana
2017-10-14 16:46:41 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Yes I was thinking of that one the other day when reading about one of
the Trump follies, I suppose at best we can laugh at him for the time
being, whereas it would have cost you dear had you laughed at Hitler.
HRM Resident
2017-10-14 16:55:06 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
I dunno. I wouldn't laugh at that windbag if I were in the US.
He's more wrapped up in his ego and his need to get even that doing even
5% of what his job entails. He's obsessed with revenge, hate and
insulting everyone who doesn't kiss his fat ass . . . you know, I'd
think he was elected to look after his country instead of taking a
week-long hissy-fit when he was called a moron . . . which he certainly is.

I never was a fan of Hillary Clinton, but when she and her campaign
team said "Trump's temperamentally unfit for the job", truer words were
never spoken. It might have been campaign rhetoric, but look at what
he's done . . . and more importantly what he's not done. Yet the
crackers love him to bits! What happened to his wall?