One week to go!
2017-08-03 17:40:39 UTC
I have Friday off, then it's a long weekend. So at the end of today I have FOUR DAYS left. It's been a long haul. After that the challenge will be slow time down, heh. I've been asked to come back on a casual basis for some training so I might take them up on it for some extra cash and mental stimulation in the dead of winter. I'm also the Crown's defendant in a lawsuit so will likely be called up for discovery hearings sometimes this fall or winter, taking a few days of file review and meetings, also all paid. Now my big concern is that my pension will be calculated correctly, given all the Phoenix pay issues. My official date is Sept 20th but I have enough accumulated leave to pull the plug next Friday. YAHOO!
l***@fl.it
2017-08-03 18:49:09 UTC
I have Friday off, then it's a long weekend. So at the end of today I have FOUR DAYS left. It's been a long haul. After that the challenge will be slow time down, heh. I've been asked to come back on a casual basis for some training so I might take them up on it for some extra cash and mental stimulation in the dead of winter. I'm also the Crown's defendant in a lawsuit so will likely be called up for discovery hearings sometimes this fall or winter, taking a few days of file review and meetings, also all paid. Now my big concern is that my pension will be calculated correctly, given all the Phoenix pay issues. My official date is Sept 20th but I have enough accumulated leave to pull the plug next Friday. YAHOO!
My son, who is Coast Guard, didn't get paid for two whole months and
he has mortgage payments to make. This rigaramole is all due to that
f*****g Harper, bet he got paid.
Wayne Hines
2017-08-04 10:15:02 UTC
[...]
While the Phoenix system was contracted under the Harper government, it
was implemented by the Liberals last year despite warnings from various
unions that the system was not yet ready.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
l***@fl.it
2017-08-04 10:48:50 UTC
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:15:02 GMT, Wayne Hines
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by jvangurp
[...]
Correct, they fell heir to a system contracted by Harper, can you
imagine the stink if they had just brushed away the millions already
spent??
Wayne Hines
2017-08-06 12:29:14 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
[...]
That didn't stop them in the past. I seem to remember a cancelled
helicopter deal that cost $500 million, about four times what IBM was
paid for the Phoenix system.

I think the government was just in a hurry to realize the $70 million-a-
year savings consolidation under one payroll system would create. Both
before and after the 2015 election there were problems with some small
systems that were converted to the Phoenix system. That should have been
enough of a warning to the government to wait until more bugs were
removed.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
jvangurp
Yes and there was a real push on to get that Payroll Centre built and staffed in Miramichi. Harper made the decision and the promise to get it up and running no matter what as a replacement / consolation prize for cancelling the gun registry. 500 good federal government jobs in that region buys a lot of votes! As an aside, I managed the site selection and purchase of that property :-)
HRM Resident
2017-08-08 12:03:47 UTC
snip<
Yes and there was a real push on to get that Payroll Centre built and staffed in Miramichi. Harper made the decision and the promise to get it up and running no matter what as a replacement / consolation prize for cancelling the gun registry. 500 good federal government jobs in that region buys a lot of votes! As an aside, I managed the site selection and purchase of that property :-)
How bad was/is it? All I read were the horror stories in the
press, etc. I know from experience the media exaggerates things, and
gets half the story right half the time. I do believe some employees
waited months to be paid, etc. However, was this widespread? Or did
just half a dozen of the hundreds of thousands of civil servants get
caught in a mess?

I don't know anyone else who works (and in your case, soon to be
worked!) for the Federal Government. I do know that every major
software project has bugs and they won't all be discovered as soon as
it's released (think YEARS of incessant Windows, Linux and SmartPhone
updates almost monthly to plug holes.)

Was Phoenix the disaster the press would have us believe? Has it
been fixed? If it was contracted to IBM, did they get extra funds after
the delivery date to fix the bugs? That would piss me off . . . if you
sign a contract to provide a service and you don't deliver it on time or
working correctly, you ought not get MORE tax dollars to fix it. If IBM
didn't do it right the first time, they should have been required to fix
it on their dime, not ours.

I'm looking for a technical answer, not a pissed of
Conservative/Liberal/NDP making up a finger-pointing style answer. :-)
2017-08-08 12:33:35 UTC
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:03:47 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by jvangurp
snip<
[...]
Well I have only my son to go by but at the worst of the time I did
read the Coast Guard on the east coast were amongst the worst. He
had to speak to his bank because he couldn't meet his mortgage
payments after two months, it was as if he didn't exist. By that
time, fortunately, the press were covering it so he had an easier time
making arrangements with his bank manager.

I think technical answers are okay but I also know first hand how it
affected ordinary folk just doing their job.
jvangurp
2017-08-08 13:58:17 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by jvangurp
snip<
[...]
Yeh... I don't have those answers. Happily I am unaffected but in my little work unit of a dozen or so, there were at least three people affected to different degrees. Each sounded like a major pain in the arse too. One has had constant problems since Day One with over payment, underpayment and everything in between and she's had to develop a detailed tracking system on her own to make sure it doesn't affect t her life more than necessary. It's very widespread. Looking at my paycheques I see all sorts of weird adjustments over the months but the bank deposit always works out. I have to wonder if these are manual adjustments or what. In any event I keep an eye on them.

What I hear is that it's not so much a software issue as it is that so many experienced and knowledgeable staff retired or moved on when they deconstructed the Compensation organization.
jvangurp
2017-08-10 12:58:50 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by jvangurp
snip<
[...]
Here's today's message regarding Phoenix. Things like this come out every couple of weeks or so. It doesn't instill confidence!

Attention: Employees

There has been an increased number of employees accessing Phoenix concurrently resulting in access issues. Access to the Phoenix Pay System and the Phoenix link on the Compensation Web Applications homepage have been removed until resolution.

Public Services and Procurement Canada wants to reassure employees that these access issues have no impact on the issuance of pay. The system will be available for managers to proceed with section 34 approvals from 3pm EST to 6pm EST today.

*** meanwhile there are people around me who have ongoing major f-ups of their pay.
Jack
2017-08-05 13:49:02 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by jvangurp
[...]
Right on, Brother Wyane!!?? Happer fucked the royal shit out of the
sivil service by cutting and slashing and lyin'!!!......he's Pres.
Trump's hero!! He let a fart in the elevastor an got off...lol lol..now
all YOU leftie loons sucking the government tit can smell Harper's
shitty bean fart.......hahahha!!!?

Want to buy one of Pres. Trump's balls??? I gots me one when Mike Pence
hit me in the head wiff one!!!??? Didn't make any
differrence!!!????.....lololololol!!

I'm like smart. Your a nasty woman. - Pres. Trump (on 17 days vactaion)
jvangurp
2017-08-05 17:37:43 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by jvangurp
[...]
And some of the executives involved got bonuses! Mind you, I think others were demoted or let go.