Happy Christmas or whatever :)
2017-12-24 13:35:15 UTC
Hope everyone has a nice time the next few days - they are all coming
here tonight, I grabbed the party room. Tomorrow I was going to my
daughters on top of the hill in Dartmouth, but we are thinking maybe
it will have to be Tuesday.

If you're on the move, be careful, be safe! Donna, Bill was asking
after you.

All the best in 2018

Sheena
HRM Resident
2017-12-24 14:35:48 UTC
Hope everyone has a nice time the next few days - they are all coming
here tonight, I grabbed the party room. Tomorrow I was going to my
daughters on top of the hill in Dartmouth, but we are thinking maybe
it will have to be Tuesday.
If you're on the move, be careful, be safe! Donna, Bill was asking
after you.
All the best in 2018
Sheena
Same to you and everyone else who posts here. It's been an
interesting year. Let's see what 2018 brings!

For those who have to drive tomorrow, be careful. High winds and
snow mixed with rain = stay home unless absolutely necessary.

Merry Christmas to all. :-)
Wayne Hines
2017-12-25 20:39:11 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
Hope everyone has a nice time the next few days - they are all coming
here tonight, I grabbed the party room. Tomorrow I was going to my
daughters on top of the hill in Dartmouth, but we are thinking maybe it
will have to be Tuesday.
If you're on the move, be careful, be safe! Donna, Bill was asking
after you.
All the best in 2018
Sheena
Same to you and everyone else who posts here. It's been an
interesting year. Let's see what 2018 brings!
For those who have to drive tomorrow, be careful. High winds and
snow mixed with rain = stay home unless absolutely necessary.
Merry Christmas to all. :-)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

The driving this morning was not the best but there was not a lot of
traffic and you could zip along nicely...although a lot slower than the
posted 110kph limit.

gwh
I used to care but things have changed.
l***@fl.it
2017-12-26 13:01:28 UTC
On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 20:39:11 GMT, Wayne Hines
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
We had an awful drive over to Dartmouth just after lunch, coming home
about 7 the road was bare but holey moley, wild up on the bridge :( I
hadn't been home long when the power went, thought it would. My
daughter in Shad Bay had already lost hers but they have a generator
since the big cut off with Juan, so she was fine. Ours came back on
during the night, no idea when :)
HRM Resident
2017-12-27 16:05:27 UTC
Post by Wayne Hines
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Thanks for the wishes, LB and Wayne. Around 2 PM Xmas Day the
power went out and we spent 22 hours without it. Wasn't a great time
with a generator and kerosene heaters keeping things liveable!
Thankfully I smelled a rat as soon as I saw the 110 gust prediction and
convinced DW to cook the turkey early . . . we still didn't get to eat
it until yesterday, but after it cooled off we jut put it in the
fridge++ and re-heated yesterday.

A couple of years ago I refurbished my pair of 35 year old kerosene
heaters. New wicks (that I tracked down on the Internet in Seattle, of
all places), etc. They work as good as new, and we're still here so
their claim of no CO emissions might even be true! They are cheaper
than maintaining a wood stove . . . seeing as I'd also have to build a
chimney.

We kept the house at ~13-14 C except a couple of rooms at 22 C.
Was comfortable, but no TV, Internet, land-line or WiFi for the old Z10
phones. So we were isolated except for the cellular network. It's the
first power "bump" we had in 1.5 years! Guess Emera was making up for
lost time.

I'd hate to see this happen again on a night like tonight . . .
they say as low as -25 to -30 with the wind chill. Luckily the power
came on before it got very cold.

Aside from that, it was a good Xmas . . . if you enjoy being
outside ~every 4 hours putting more gas in a generator . . . especially
in the dark when the wind is howling! DW and I particularly enjoyed the
3 AM trip! :-) If any of you atheists heard the lord's name being taken
in vain at 200 dB, it was us! :-) :-) Regardless of whether or not you
are a religious believer, screeching "Go* da** fu***** winter! Je*** H
Ch**** it's fu***** cold! Dirty coc******** at the power corporation out
to be fu***** shot!" makes you feel better, :-)

++ Fridge, freezer (and electric blanket on LOW), all running from the
generator. Learnt a lesson from Juan!
MYOB@home.com
2017-12-29 23:12:28 UTC
Hope everyone has a nice time the next few days - they are all coming
here tonight, I grabbed the party room. Tomorrow I was going to my
daughters on top of the hill in Dartmouth, but we are thinking maybe
it will have to be Tuesday.
If you're on the move, be careful, be safe! Donna, Bill was asking
after you.
All the best in 2018
Sheena
Give him and Donna my best regards. Funny how sometimes you don't know how good you had it until someone's no longer around but he was a good Resident Manager on Glenforest.

I take it you kept power. I had the turkey all cooked but no sides ready when our power went out. It was only out for a couple of hours here but just long enough to mess with our Christmas dinner. Headed out to see if we could find some place open that sold salads but that didn't last long ...to many flying tree branches in the roads and some whole trees down. Chef Boyardee by battery operated lanterns just didn't seem the same <g>.
l***@fl.it
2017-12-30 01:34:16 UTC
Post by ***@home.com
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Yes I can't think of anyone who doesn't like him = maybe Donna not so
much but its him we mostly see. No we lost power just after I got
home, maybe about 7. Don't know when it came back on, had gone to
sleep but at the time when I looked out, your old building was dark
too. I'll tell him.