Driving fun
2017-09-30 02:11:56 UTC
Well that was interesting... I rented a U-Haul 5'x 8' trailer, and having never hauled one before tried my hand at backing it into my driveway. Holy mind-f**k! It's all backward and topsy-turvy. Hard to get one's head around it... I'm sure a bit of practice will pay off.
l***@fl.it
2017-09-30 10:55:54 UTC
On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 19:11:56 -0700 (PDT), jvangurp
Post by jvangurp
Well that was interesting... I rented a U-Haul 5'x 8' trailer, and having never hauled one before tried my hand at backing it into my driveway. Holy mind-f**k! It's all backward and topsy-turvy. Hard to get one's head around it... I'm sure a bit of practice will pay off.
It will come - I felt that way the first time I drove the car with
very large boat behind.
HRM Resident
2017-09-30 12:41:55 UTC
Post by jvangurp
Well that was interesting... I rented a U-Haul 5'x 8' trailer, and having never hauled one before tried my hand at backing it into my driveway. Holy mind-f**k! It's all backward and topsy-turvy. Hard to get one's head around it... I'm sure a bit of practice will pay off.
It will come - I felt that way the first time I drove the car with
very large boat behind.
I never tried driving a vehicle with any kind of trailer attached.
I could envision myself backing into the ditch or another car as soon as
I tried to back it up. What amazes me is those 18-wheeler drivers who
can put those huge trucks within an inch or two of a loading dock . . .
that's why they are pros, I guess.
2017-09-30 14:53:08 UTC
Post by jvangurp
Well that was interesting... I rented a U-Haul 5'x 8' trailer, and having never hauled one before tried my hand at backing it into my driveway. Holy mind-f**k! It's all backward and topsy-turvy. Hard to get one's head around it... I'm sure a bit of practice will pay off.
It will come - I felt that way the first time I drove the car with
very large boat behind.
I never tried driving a vehicle with any kind of trailer attached.
I could envision myself backing into the ditch or another car as soon as
I tried to back it up. What amazes me is those 18-wheeler drivers who
can put those huge trucks within an inch or two of a loading dock . . .
that's why they are pros, I guess.
It's the backing up that takes practice - you have to do it the wrong
way round, so to speak :)
jvangurp
2017-10-01 02:11:28 UTC
Post by jvangurp
Well that was interesting... I rented a U-Haul 5'x 8' trailer, and having never hauled one before tried my hand at backing it into my driveway. Holy mind-f**k! It's all backward and topsy-turvy. Hard to get one's head around it... I'm sure a bit of practice will pay off.
It will come - I felt that way the first time I drove the car with
very large boat behind.
I never tried driving a vehicle with any kind of trailer attached.
I could envision myself backing into the ditch or another car as soon as
I tried to back it up. What amazes me is those 18-wheeler drivers who
can put those huge trucks within an inch or two of a loading dock . . .
that's why they are pros, I guess.
It's the backing up that takes practice - you have to do it the wrong
way round, so to speak :)
Very slowly seems to be the key!

Managed some fancy manoeuvring at my hotel in Quebec tonight.

LB what sort of a boat did you haul?

Cheers,
John
l***@fl.it
2017-10-01 10:55:54 UTC
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 19:11:28 -0700 (PDT), jvangurp
Post by jvangurp
[...]
An 18ft Rosborough - at that time we had a cottage on the island in
Shad Bay but it was too risky to leave it tied to the government wharf
as the wharf had not been maintained and bits were falling. When my
younger daughter and SIL bought a waterfront property in Bayside, we
were okay and left it just off their property, then we bought the
house in Shad Bay and everything was hunky dorey.

You're in Quebec - going all the way to Vancouver?
HRM Resident
2017-10-01 17:26:46 UTC
Post by jvangurp
[...]
Bonjour, J-V-G! J'espère que vous appréciez votre temps au
Québec! Il est censé être le pire endroit pour la police et accélérer
les billets, alors conduisez prudemment. Faites attention aux porcs et à
leur radar. Des stupides particulièrement importés du Nouveau-Brunswick!

LB, interesting that you had a number of boats . . . I suppose it
was only natural coming from a naval background. I wish I'd had more
time at sea, but it wasn't to be. I spent most of my time afloat in one
of two 14-foot row-boats. One I made when I was 18 and the other when I
was around 35. Both lasted about 10-11 years. I'm neither a sailor nor
a carpenter, but I suppose I could be called an amateur boat-builder!

I figured everything would be backwards trying to manoeuvre a
trailer into a narrow driveway with just the mirrors. Probably most of
us could learn with enough practice.
Mike Spencer
2017-10-01 20:58:53 UTC
...then we bought the house in Shad Bay and everything was hunky
dorey.
You lived in Shad Bay? Huh. Did you know Jim & Tory Byrne? Or
Morris & Anitra Laycock?

YADATROT: Trailer? I learned to back my father's WW II Bantam trailer
as a teenager, still have it. It's not *quite* like riding a bicycle;
I have to briefly learn over again on the rare occasions when I use it
or another trailer. I have a diesel engine on wheels that had to be
backed into place. Another re-learn episode before success.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada