email traffic
2017-11-02 19:42:02 UTC
Speaking of email traffic and spam, over the past 2-3 weeks I unsubscribed from every single email list that's been filling my inbox. I get maybe 2-3 messages a day now and all from people I know and have normal communications with. What a bloody wonderful feeling. Being retired now I'm getting all sorts of little things done that I never seemed to have time for, from tending the yard to putting away my laundry. The workshop is staying tidy and I'm looking at the basement now. What a life!

Cheers,
John
Mike Small
2017-11-03 18:00:48 UTC
Speaking of email traffic and spam, over the past 2-3 weeks I
unsubscribed from every single email list that's been filling my
inbox. I get maybe 2-3 messages a day now and all from people I know
and have normal communications with. What a bloody wonderful
feeling. Being retired now I'm getting all sorts of little things done
that I never seemed to have time for, from tending the yard to putting
away my laundry. The workshop is staying tidy and I'm looking at the
basement now. What a life!
Cheers,
John
I was almost going to mention this in the previous thread, but wasn't
sure if people meant email spam or paper junkmail. This has been my
experience too, that if you take the time to use the unsubscribe links
in these emails they do actually stop sending, at least the legitimate
orgs like charities and political groups. You just have to keep on top
of it as more people get your email.

Some usenet users will hide their true email addresses too. I dunno, I'm
yet to see any connection between posting to usenet and getting
spam. The mailing lists I'm on also seem safe in this regard or at least
I haven't caught a pattern.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
l***@fl.it
2017-11-03 19:11:38 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by jvangurp
[...]
I learned a bad lesson back in the day when usenet started. I posted
here with my real name and addy. There was a real oddball who
started to hassle me - thankfully J V-G found out where he lived and
the vital fact that he couldn't drive, I lived outside of town back
then. So I quickly learned to be LB and munge my addy. I don't
suppose it would matter today, but it sure did then :)
jvangurp
2017-11-04 12:04:15 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by jvangurp
[...]
Well yes indeed LB when people take internet communications to any kind of personal real-life harassment, then you have to take steps to hide your identity or protect yourself in some way. I haven't seen any kind of weird stuff like that here and I'll very a very long time. As you know this newsgroup (well actually ns.general) attracted some real wingnuts over the years.

Cheers,
John
l***@fl.it
2017-11-04 13:52:51 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by jvangurp
[...]
I see that he still maintains a presence on FB and a few years back
made some attempt at local politics - shudder :(
jvangurp
2017-11-04 12:01:54 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by jvangurp
[...]
Same here Mike. I don't see any connection at all between using my full proper e-mail address here on HughesNet and any kind of Nefarious activity or pesky stuff like spam. I also find that Gmail is phenomenal at filtering out spam. I honestly never see spam in my inbox, yet when I go and look in my spam folder there's a fair bit there. I don't know how they do it, but they have it down to a fine art.

Cheers,
John
l***@fl.it
I wouldn't particularly bother now, but back in the day...
Mike Spencer
2017-11-04 17:34:15 UTC
I wouldn't particularly bother now, but back in the day...
Right. Usenet antedates the internet. When the internet became
public in the early 90s, Usenet was already a fully formed entity and
was by then running on the net instead of (or in addition to) batch
transfers over modems.

So when spam was invented (remember the greencard lawyers?) Usenet
was the obvious source for scraping email address lists.

When, before long, the WW Web upstaged news (it was more like TV and
less like, yew know, reading) and Usenet news lost popular attention
and faded away, no self-respecting spammer would bother with it any
more. There are places to buy or steal much better address lists now.

As a matter of odd fact, though, I've had more weird mail from my web
page than from net news. I have a (putative) humor page called
"Resident Alien". That is the legal term used by the US Gov't to
designate a greencard holder who has been given permanent US residency
status. So I got email from people wanting help getting a greencard,
enough so that I elided my email address from the web pages.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
l***@fl.it
2017-11-04 19:08:32 UTC
On 04 Nov 2017 14:34:15 -0300, Mike Spencer
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by l***@fl.it
[...]
Lol - I just loathe it when a friend signs up for linkdn, that thing
grabs their address books and starts emailing you about joining with
them arrrgghh
Mike Spencer
2017-11-05 00:48:03 UTC
Lol - I just loathe it when a friend signs up for linkdn, that thing
grabs their address books and starts emailing you about joining with
them arrrgghh
Is *that* how that happens? I didn't know. I must belong to a pretty
lower, unemployable class (or one better than average smart :-)
because I've only seen that 2 or 3 times.

I suppose now it's been legitimated from high places that you can
"grab them by the address book" and not incur a boot to the head.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada