used computer shop?
Mike Small
2017-07-28 17:09:58 UTC
Hi,

Are there any shops selling used computer equipment in Halifax or
Dartmouth, ideally near a bus route?

I'm traveling to Dartmouth (from Boston) to help my mom with her move in
a few weeks and might have some free time to shop for a laptop harddrive
I was thinking of getting for backups. I ask about used because I've
given myself a rule that I'm not allowed to buy new electronics,
especially not computer equipment. Looking online, I noticed a place
named Techmania in Cole Harbour that sounds promising and mentions
having refurbished equipment, but it's not clear from their website how
likely I'd be to walk in and find a used harddrive for sale with the
specs I want: (SATA, 350-750 GiB, 5400 rpm (quieter)). Yes, probably I
should email them.

Has there ever been any buzz around Halifax about something like
Portland's or Vancouver's Freegeek starting up? I've been away for a
long time and don't know the computer shop scene there at all now,
unless driving past box stores counts.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
Mike Spencer
2017-07-29 04:16:18 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Hi,
Are there any shops selling used computer equipment in Halifax or
Dartmouth, ideally near a bus route?
I have these noted:

Used Computers: used off-lease SuperCity Internet at 91 Alderney Dr.

Used Computers: Apro Computer Services, Illsley Avenue at 454-8020

Used Computers: pc700.com, Computer re-marketing,
Used Computers: pc700.com, Robie just north of Lady Hammond

2nd hand computers: http://partnersforcare.ca/contact & QEII foundation

All but the last may be seriously out of date, long gone. You can
check them out.

There's also a used somputer guy in Bridgewater, ca. 70 miles out of
Halifax:

Mr. Surplus: 517 King, Bridgewater, B4V 1B2 521-4731 (cell)

FWIW,
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Mike Small
2017-07-31 15:27:59 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Mike Small
Are there any shops selling used computer equipment in Halifax or
Dartmouth, ideally near a bus route?
Used Computers: used off-lease SuperCity Internet at 91 Alderney Dr.
Used Computers: Apro Computer Services, Illsley Avenue at 454-8020
Used Computers: pc700.com, Computer re-marketing,
Used Computers: pc700.com, Robie just north of Lady Hammond
2nd hand computers: http://partnersforcare.ca/contact & QEII foundation
All but the last may be seriously out of date, long gone. You can
check them out.
Thanks, I'll look into these links when or before I go.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
axemen99
2017-07-30 13:07:55 UTC
Post by Mike Small
[...]
Your mom is worth a lot more. Used hard drives would fail that I have seen a few with older people.

You can get a cheap new hard drive for the laptop (and other stuff for her) in the Boston area, like MEI MicroCenter in Cambridge MA.

Dartmouth is beautiful.
Mike Small
2017-07-31 16:16:20 UTC
Post by axemen99
Your mom is worth a lot more. Used hard drives would fail that I have seen a few with older people.
We'll have lots of time. I'm taking extra days after the move to hang
out and relax. It's for me not her, and it failing at some point is
okay. If you can't deal with drive failure you haven't got your back-up
routine right. And I have job related reasons for wanting to see what
drive failure looks like besides. (I mean, eventually: I am expecting
to get some use out of the thing).
Post by axemen99
You can get a cheap new hard drive for the laptop (and other stuff for her) in the Boston area, like MEI MicroCenter in Cambridge MA.
Not used though. I only buy used. There's the MIT Flea, but I don't
trust myself not to come home with some random piece of junk like an old
Silicon Graphics machine, a pdp, or radio equipment from 1955. Probably
I'll end up using craigslist or ebay in the end, but -- perhaps from
nostalgia from college when I'd buy parts in various small computer
shops in Halifax from people who really knew their stuff and sometimes
even frequented local BBSes -- I wanted to try a small local vendor if
one stills exists and deals in used equipment.
Post by axemen99
Dartmouth is beautiful.
If you say so. Parts of it, certainly. On the other hand, the commercial
areas of Portland Street from Penhorn out into Cole Harvour are looking
tackier than ever.
--
Mike Small
***@sdf.org
[...]