pants
2017-11-04 23:36:41 UTC
I bought some $145 jeans tonight - most expensive pants I've ever bought - but they were 50% off. Talk about comfortable and a perfect fit - hope it still seems worth it a year from now.

Cheers!
Rockafeller vG
l***@fl.it
2017-11-04 23:51:59 UTC
I bought some $145 jeans tonight - most expensive pants I've ever bought - but they were 50% off. Talk about comfortable and a perfect fit - hope it still seems worth it a year from now.
Cheers!
Rockafeller vG
You sure they didn't double the price first, then take off the fifty
percent???
jvangurp
2017-11-05 00:32:23 UTC
I bought some $145 jeans tonight - most expensive pants I've ever bought - but they were 50% off. Talk about comfortable and a perfect fit - hope it still seems worth it a year from now.
Cheers!
Rockafeller vG
You sure they didn't double the price first, then take off the fifty
percent???
A classic Sears move! They were caught at that this week actually. Speaking of which I popped in there first to see their going out of business sales and it was very underwhelming. The biggest discount I saw was 25% off which brought the merchandise down to a normal price, or even still higher than some other stores.

For example I saw an induction cooktop that I am looking at for the cottage. Figured the Sears price would be great, but thgeir regular price was around $90, then marked down by 25% it's *still* more expensive than the exact same unit from Amazon even with shipping factored in. And this is their big going out of business sale price. Sears was out of touch with the retail world long ago. May they roast in piss, uh... rest in peace.

Cheers,
John "Pant$" van Gurp
HRM Resident
2017-11-05 13:20:27 UTC
[...]
Do some research on those induction stoves. They are a fantastic
invention in theory, but I've heard nothing but complaints about them.
I even bought an induction mini-stove (sort of like a big hot plate.) I
returned it a week later.

My experience squared with all the things I've heard. If you put
the correct sized FERROUS metal pan exactly on the burner outline, they
heat faster than a microwave. However, they won't work at all with pots
and pans with copper bottoms, aluminium or many newer "non-stick" pots.
They also won't work if the pot is slightly larger or smaller than the
"burner" outline. I have some pots my parents bought in 1970 . . .
lifetime guaranteed and well worth the high price they paid. Industrial
quality with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch bottom with a solid copper plate in the
bottom to retain and distribute heat evenly. Best I ever saw . . . but
they won't raise the temperature of a pot of water 1 degree on an
induction stove.

I think they have great potential, but they need a few more years
to perfect the idea.
2017-11-05 13:58:11 UTC
On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 09:20:27 -0400, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
They've been well discussed on cooking groups and the pan must be
absolutely flat and making a connection right across. I like the idea
but like you, will wait awhile before I purchase. The single burner
one, can't think of the name, it's advertised a lot, received good
reviews, but that was by people who owned them.

Besides which, you're retired John, time is no longer of the essence
:)
jvangurp
2017-11-05 21:26:17 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Great information - thanks!

JVG

HRM Resident
2017-11-05 13:11:39 UTC
I bought some $145 jeans tonight - most expensive pants I've ever bought - but they were 50% off. Talk about comfortable and a perfect fit - hope it still seems worth it a year from now.
Cheers!
Rockafeller vG
I get everything I wear except socks and underwear (and have for
decades) at Value Village and/or the Salvation Army Thrift store. Why?
Because they are as good as brand new and cost $10-15 instead of
$100-$200. Then I waste my extra money on fun toys! :-)