Atlantic Pottery Supply?
Mike Spencer
2017-12-05 06:17:44 UTC
Anybody know what's become of Atlantic Pottery Supply?

I zipped over to 15 Canal St. in Dartmouth and found a vacant lot.

They were there in 2008 and for many years before that. Anybody know
where they've gone or can verify that they're out of business?
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Jim Diamond
2017-12-13 22:10:28 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Anybody know what's become of Atlantic Pottery Supply?
I zipped over to 15 Canal St. in Dartmouth and found a vacant lot.
They were there in 2008 and for many years before that. Anybody know
where they've gone or can verify that they're out of business?
They moved to Burnside for a while, but they went out of business some
number of months (10?) ago. It's too bad, but there you go.
Mike Spencer
2017-12-14 01:24:38 UTC
Post by Jim Diamond
Post by Mike Spencer
Anybody know what's become of Atlantic Pottery Supply?
where they've gone or can verify that they're out of business?
They moved to Burnside for a while, but they went out of business some
number of months (10?) ago. It's too bad, but there you go.
Yes, thanks, just so. It was nice to be able to get advice about
products over the counter from knowledgeable people. I managed to run
it down since my posted query. Potters are now ordering from Toronto,
Oakville, Montreal or further afield. Some take part in periodic
group orders through the NS Potters' Guild.

I just need some refractory stuff to patch up and improve my little
gas forge. Maybe I can get it through the Potters' Guild. My nearby
potter doesn't keep such materials on hand.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Jim Diamond
2017-12-16 14:48:08 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Jim Diamond
Post by Mike Spencer
Anybody know what's become of Atlantic Pottery Supply?
where they've gone or can verify that they're out of business?
They moved to Burnside for a while, but they went out of business some
number of months (10?) ago. It's too bad, but there you go.
Yes, thanks, just so. It was nice to be able to get advice about
products over the counter from knowledgeable people. I managed to run
it down since my posted query. Potters are now ordering from Toronto,
Oakville, Montreal or further afield. Some take part in periodic
group orders through the NS Potters' Guild.
I just need some refractory stuff to patch up and improve my little
gas forge. Maybe I can get it through the Potters' Guild. My nearby
potter doesn't keep such materials on hand.
You can get refractory cement from (I believe) hardware stores for
dealing with vent pipes for furnaces. Certainly your forge is way
hotter than furnace exhaust gasses, but would that do?

(A friend gave me some a few years ago, and I'm not sure where he
bought it. But he had used all he needed and had lots left over, so
it worked out quite well.)

Cheers.
Jim
Mike Spencer
2017-12-16 21:15:07 UTC
Post by Jim Diamond
You can get refractory cement from (I believe) hardware stores for
dealing with vent pipes for furnaces.
Yes, commonly called "stove cement".
Post by Jim Diamond
Certainly your forge is way hotter than furnace exhaust gasses, but
would that do?
Maybe, with a little mucking about. It has the wrong consistency for
easy application to where it's needed and perhaps gets too hard (or
not?). I have some "castable refractory cement", waterglass, stove
cement, may be able to cobble up something that will work adequately.

The gas forge design uses a thick layer of ceramic batt as
insulation. That works very well but has to be coated with something
more durable both to prevent damage of the fragile batting and to
reduce airborne, respiratorily harmful fibres.

I have some experimental bits of this and that awaiting further
evaluation.

One thing that, AFAIK presently, I can't cobble up myself is ITC-100,
an IR-reflective coating material that increases the maximum temps
achievable, making forge welding in a gas forge possible. At $140 a
pint, it's a little dear but I did want to try it. A pint should be a
year's supply even for a heavily used forge and mine gets very light
use.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada