Boycot Superstore
HRM Resident
2024-04-15 11:35:56 UTC
One thing after another. “Pink slime” hamburger (exposed
to ammonia gas to kill bacteria.) Price increases far higher
than inflation. Reduced (ready to go in the garbage) food
switched from 50% off to 30% off - this was reversed
because of customer blowback - now quietly put back to
30%. Shopping carts with locking wheels that force
you to show a receipt. Cashier asks “Do you want to donate
$2 to charity ABC?” Why? So Loblaws can donate millions
of OUR dollars to charity for a tax credit.

I am equidistant from a Superstore and a Sobeys. Went
to the Superstore (previously an IGA) since the 1970s. I
have made my last trip there.
HRM Resident
James Warren
2024-04-15 11:51:03 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
One thing after another. “Pink slime” hamburger (exposed
to ammonia gas to kill bacteria.) Price increases far higher
than inflation. Reduced (ready to go in the garbage) food
switched from 50% off to 30% off - this was reversed
because of customer blowback - now quietly put back to
30%. Shopping carts with locking wheels that force
you to show a receipt. Cashier asks “Do you want to donate
$2 to charity ABC?” Why? So Loblaws can donate millions
of OUR dollars to charity for a tax credit.
I am equidistant from a Superstore and a Sobeys. Went
to the Superstore (previously an IGA) since the 1970s. I
have made my last trip there.
The last time (several years ago) we shopped at Sobeys prices were
somewhat higher than at Superstore. Let me know if that is still true.
If it is true, then the alternatives are Walmart, Costco and a few
independent specialty stores.

Good luck. Avoiding getting screwed is a challenge, perhaps one that we
cannot win.
HRM Resident
2024-04-15 12:15:00 UTC
Post by James Warren
Good luck. Avoiding getting screwed is a challenge,
perhaps one that we cannot win.
We can’t “win.” It’s a matter of principle. I don’t care
about a dollar here and there. I ain’t going in a Superstore
ever again.

The prices are not dramatically different. My wife watches
that stuff like a hawk. She says some things are cheaper at
Superstore and others at Sobeys. Then there’s Walmart and
Costco. One can eliminate Superstore on principle and
likely break even on cost over time. I am not giving
Loblaws any more money. They are greedy pigs.
HRM Resident
James Warren
2024-04-15 12:39:06 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by James Warren
Good luck. Avoiding getting screwed is a challenge,
perhaps one that we cannot win.
We can’t “win.” It’s a matter of principle. I don’t care
about a dollar here and there. I ain’t going in a Superstore
ever again.
The prices are not dramatically different. My wife watches
that stuff like a hawk. She says some things are cheaper at
Superstore and others at Sobeys. Then there’s Walmart and
Costco. One can eliminate Superstore on principle and
likely break even on cost over time. I am not giving
Loblaws any more money. They are greedy pigs.
They're all greedy pigs! I think you mean Loblaws is greedier than the
others.
l***@florence.it
2024-04-15 13:10:12 UTC
On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:15:00 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
Post by James Warren
Good luck. Avoiding getting screwed is a challenge,
perhaps one that we cannot win.
We can’t “win.” It’s a matter of principle. I don’t care
about a dollar here and there. I ain’t going in a Superstore
ever again.
The prices are not dramatically different. My wife watches
that stuff like a hawk. She says some things are cheaper at
Superstore and others at Sobeys. Then there’s Walmart and
Costco. One can eliminate Superstore on principle and
likely break even on cost over time. I am not giving
Loblaws any more money. They are greedy pigs.
I have never shopped Wartmart, with their predatory pricing (at the
time) they cost us some nice stores. I know Bonner feels the same way
too.
Booklady
2024-04-15 18:36:33 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by James Warren
Good luck. Avoiding getting screwed is a challenge,
perhaps one that we cannot win.
We can’t “win.” It’s a matter of principle. I don’t care
about a dollar here and there. I ain’t going in a Superstore
ever again.
The prices are not dramatically different. My wife watches
that stuff like a hawk. She says some things are cheaper at
Superstore and others at Sobeys. Then there’s Walmart and
Costco. One can eliminate Superstore on principle and
likely break even on cost over time. I am not giving
Loblaws any more money. They are greedy pigs.
The folks running Sobey's aren't exactly wondering where the next meal
will come from but they're certainly not poster boys/ girls for the
"greedy pig" set like Galen Weston is. You're right though. We do have
to care about more than just the bottom line specially when Roblaw's
(NOT a spelling mistake) do everything humanly possible to make shopping
there as unpleasant as possible (locking carts and receipt scanners or
inspections). Count me out.
l***@florence.it
2024-04-15 13:08:40 UTC
On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:51:03 -0300, James Warren
Post by James Warren
[...]
I always hear that, prices are higher at Sobeys and wonder if that is
put out by Loblaws. Certainly I wasted my dollars there the other
day. I don't make a rigid grocery list, I sift through and if lamb
is the bargain this week, then I buy that etc.
James Warren
2024-04-15 13:43:31 UTC
Post by James Warren
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
My observations are several years old when we used to shop at both
Sobeys and Superstore about equally often. So, many not apply today.
Booklady
2024-04-15 18:42:12 UTC
Post by James Warren
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
When I started shopping at Superstore, they WERE cheaper and stayed that
way until fairly recently. That's what prompted me to stick with them. I
NEVER buy their meat though ever since I got some that had been
obviously previously frozen (still partly frozen) and was sold as fresh.
Being someone who can fall prey to "Oh, that looks good" syndrome, I
make a rigid list and TRY not to impulse buy
Booklady
2024-04-15 18:31:51 UTC
Post by James Warren
[...]
When I started shopping at Superstore, it was because they were cheaper.
Some items still are but on average, it looks like Superstore is getting
more expensive than Sobey's. Walmart's prices are cheaper. I just have
an issue with lining up with general shoppers when it gets freaky busy.
cannot win.
l***@florence.it
2024-04-15 13:06:40 UTC
On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:35:56 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
One thing after another. “Pink slime” hamburger (exposed
to ammonia gas to kill bacteria.) Price increases far higher
than inflation. Reduced (ready to go in the garbage) food
switched from 50% off to 30% off - this was reversed
because of customer blowback - now quietly put back to
30%. Shopping carts with locking wheels that force
you to show a receipt. Cashier asks “Do you want to donate
$2 to charity ABC?” Why? So Loblaws can donate millions
of OUR dollars to charity for a tax credit.
I am equidistant from a Superstore and a Sobeys. Went
to the Superstore (previously an IGA) since the 1970s. I
have made my last trip there.
I'm not quite equidistant but prefer Sobeys. The other day because I
was in Bayers Lake at Winners and its so close to Superstore, I went
there. Mistake! I bought what I thought looked like nice bananas but
they were rotten in the centre, you could only see that when you cut
into them. I bought some bok choy and it was coated in fine sand,
murderous to wash and not totally effective. Not going there again.
There was only one cashier available and I did not find their self
service very helpful if - like the bok choy - it did not have a number
on it.
HRM Resident
2024-04-15 13:38:15 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Generally speaking, we have found the same with Superstore. They
tend to "hide" a couple of rotten apples or oranges in a bag of fresh
ones. Lots of little things that add up.

Market Place had a thing a year or two ago where they caught them
cutting up things like a Black Forest Cake (after it went moldy and they
scraped it off) into "individual sized packages." I have seen these in
their bakery, but I never bought them. Who knows?

Whatever. I just decided to stay away from them. Sobyes are not
squeaky clean either, but they seem to do less of these sneaky things
than Loblaws. Both will still make billions.
HRM Resident
Booklady
2024-04-15 18:47:23 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
There is one Sobey's that I used to deal with exclusively that had a bad
habit of leaving seriously outdated products on the shelf. Worst case
was a carton or sauer kraut that I opened the next day only to find it
smelled rotten and looked moldy. The expiry date on it was 2-3 weeks
BEFORE purchase but it was a regular thing with them and seemed confined
to just that one store.
Booklady
2024-04-15 18:27:10 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
One thing after another. “Pink slime” hamburger (exposed
to ammonia gas to kill bacteria.) Price increases far higher
than inflation. Reduced (ready to go in the garbage) food
switched from 50% off to 30% off - this was reversed
because of customer blowback - now quietly put back to
30%. Shopping carts with locking wheels that force
you to show a receipt. Cashier asks “Do you want to donate
$2 to charity ABC?” Why? So Loblaws can donate millions
of OUR dollars to charity for a tax credit.
I am equidistant from a Superstore and a Sobeys. Went
to the Superstore (previously an IGA) since the 1970s. I
have made my last trip there.
I started using Superstore's online shopping with the pick-up option and
it was really efficient and neat at first. Now, it's a crap shoot as to
whether you get outdated products, dented cans, previously frozen meat
sold as fresh or bins that are packed as if they were having a tossing
competition. Today's had heavy bottles and cans thrown in on top of a
box of cereal. Never mind the steep price hikes. That's it. I've had it.

Wish Sobey's had as efficient an online ordering system but you can't
say no substitutions at time of ordering and they pack everything in the
green bags. My BIL had dozens if not hundreds of them now. Will go back
to in person shopping there though.
axemen99
2024-04-15 19:07:12 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
One thing after another. “Pink slime” hamburger (exposed
to ammonia gas to kill bacteria.) Price increases far higher
than inflation. Reduced (ready to go in the garbage) food
switched from 50% off to 30% off - this was reversed
because of customer blowback - now quietly put back to
30%. Shopping carts with locking wheels that force
you to show a receipt. Cashier asks “Do you want to donate
$2 to charity ABC?” Why? So Loblaws can donate millions
of OUR dollars to charity for a tax credit.
I am equidistant from a Superstore and a Sobeys. Went
to the Superstore (previously an IGA) since the 1970s. I
have made my last trip there.
From CBC - no competitions
Loblaws will no longer offer 50% discount on expiring food

Loblaws criticized for testing receipt scanners

Gurpster
2024-04-16 10:38:49 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
One thing after another. “Pink slime” hamburger (exposed
to ammonia gas to kill bacteria.) Price increases far higher
than inflation. Reduced (ready to go in the garbage) food
switched from 50% off to 30% off - this was reversed
because of customer blowback - now quietly put back to
30%. Shopping carts with locking wheels that force
you to show a receipt. Cashier asks “Do you want to donate
$2 to charity ABC?” Why? So Loblaws can donate millions
of OUR dollars to charity for a tax credit.
I am equidistant from a Superstore and a Sobeys. Went
to the Superstore (previously an IGA) since the 1970s. I
have made my last trip there.
My local Superstore on Quinpool used to be a nice friendly place with
familiar cashiers and managers. Over a period of the last 3 years or so
they had a complete turnover of staff and managers and now have
"security guards" and used to have actual cops, prices have soared and
most of the staff are cold and unfriendly. Goodbye!

John