The End
HRM Resident
2024-04-08 19:23:09 UTC
The end is near! It’s getting dark in the daytime!!

REPENT NOW!
HRM Resident
Gurpster
2024-04-08 20:17:42 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
The end is near! It’s getting dark in the daytime!!
REPENT NOW!
A bit of a dish of ointment to be honest... I have two GoPros set up in
the yard, both in 4 second timelapse mode with the ISO locked in at 100
but I'm not anticipating a great result.

Wonder how many people glanced at the sun...

Blinking,

John
HRM Resident
2024-04-08 21:13:17 UTC
Post by Gurpster
Post by HRM Resident
The end is near! It’s getting dark in the daytime!!
REPENT NOW!
A bit of a dish of ointment to be honest... I have two GoPros set up in
the yard, both in 4 second timelapse mode with the ISO locked in at 100
but I'm not anticipating a great result.
Wonder how many people glanced at the sun...
Blinking,
John
It was “OK.” I thought we were going to get 90-95%
blocking of the sun. It was sunny, got a little dim, and then
brightened back up.

GoPro! A toy/gadget I don’t have. I ought to get one,
although I don’t know what I would do with it. A drone would
be fun, but I looked into the rules. Forget it in HRM. I guess I
understand why. One fool around the airport monkeying with
one, or one peeping Tom, and that’s it for everyone. Why do
laws have to encompass everyone to stop about 4-5%?
HRM Resident
Gurpster
2024-04-09 14:04:16 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by Gurpster
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
With a sub-250g drone you can fly pretty much anywhere without
restriction in HRM including over the peninsula. I have a Mavic Mini 3
Pro... it's amazing technology with all sorts of canned video and photo
modes and flight paths. It even has automatic obstacle avoidance for
'follow-me' mode. Heck of device!

John
HRM Resident
2024-04-09 15:42:51 UTC
I have a Mavic Mini 3 Pro... it's amazing technology with
all sorts of canned video and photo modes and flight
paths. It even has automatic obstacle avoidance for
'follow-me' mode. Heck of device!
John
Interesting. I didn’t know about the 250 gm transition to
the strict rules. When I looked into this about 4-5 years ago,
you couldn’t use one within a large radius of an airport. So
YHZ and Shearwater eliminated about half of HRM. Then
there was the rule about not flying them around houses
that I figured would eliminate the rest of HRM. And you had
to register it . . . and get some permit. I threw up my
hands at this point.

Probably all those rules applied to the ones that were
above 250 gm. I have often thought they would help inspect
roofs, fly around the property, etc. Conversely, if I saw one
over MY property, I would shoot it down. That’d be fun.

BOOM, BOOM! A 12-gauge double barrel shotgun. Pieces
of drone everywhere. I suppose there’s a law against that,
too! :-)

I see the one you mentioned (I think) on Amazon for
about $1000. Lot of money, but I suppose you can’t take
it with you.
HRM Resident
Gurpster
2024-04-09 14:08:30 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by Gurpster
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I have two GoPros and a a 360 degree action camera too. I use the GoPros
for multi-cam edits where I can synch the video tracks and switch from
one point of view to another. I have a tiny little thumb size camera too
to add in some great perspectives, like down the neck of a guitar, or
looking at the crank of a bicycle underway, or looking out at me from
some impossibly small space or from inside a microwave to simulate
opening the door after cooking. The thing that's happening now though is
is that as my wife succumbs to her condition I'm trapped at home most
days, and when I'm free it's spend grocery shopping or running errands.
When I'm home it's pretty much full time chores and minding, so all
hobbies are on the shelf for most of the time. Ugh!

John
Booklady
2024-04-08 21:31:31 UTC
Post by Gurpster
     The end is near!  It’s getting dark in the daytime!!
     REPENT NOW!
A bit of a dish of ointment to be honest... I have two GoPros set up in
the yard, both in 4 second timelapse mode with the ISO locked in at 100
but I'm not anticipating a great result.
Wonder how many people glanced at the sun...
Blinking,
John
Spotted a woman with 3 kids at the end of our driveway looking up. NONE
of them had glasses on.
Gurpster
YIKES!!!
Booklady
2024-04-08 21:30:02 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
The end is near! It’s getting dark in the daytime!!
REPENT NOW!
Geez, I was all pumped for it to turn to dark and then lighten up again
and it barely looked dusky. No street lights came on and I wouldn't have
even noticed if I hadn't have been waiting for it.
James Warren
2024-04-09 02:19:30 UTC
I took a nap and missed it!
l***@florence.it
2024-04-09 11:12:45 UTC
On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 23:19:30 -0300, James Warren
Post by James Warren
The end is near! It’s getting dark in the daytime!!
REPENT NOW!
I took a nap and missed it!
I didn't nap but I was finishing knitting a sock and couldn't be
bothered to go out to the other side of the building. Perhaps because
I am surrounded by tree canopy, I don't know, but it grew dark enough
I turned the lamp on for about five munutes.
axemen99
2024-04-09 16:48:14 UTC
Post by James Warren
Post by HRM Resident
The end is near! It’s getting dark in the daytime!!
REPENT NOW!
I took a nap and missed it!
I didn't nap but I was finishing knitting a sock and couldn't be
bothered to go out to the other side of the building. Perhaps because
I am surrounded by tree canopy, I don't know, but it grew dark enough
I turned the lamp on for about five munutes.
Same here, it was dark for about 5 minutes. I watched the eclipse on TV.
1-Amazing view of the eclipse from 20,000 feet above

2-Incredible satellite view shows solar eclipse moving across United States

3-CBS News, Norah O'Donnell - Total solar eclipse cuts path across U.S.

4-LIVE: 2024 Total Solar Eclipse - NBC (3 hours)

5-Lesson on solar eclipse, Space and Physics for Scientific American