Superstore May boycott?
HRM Resident
2024-05-09 13:27:28 UTC
We haven't participated in the Loblaws/Superstore May boycott,
which will likely be a flop. We stopped going there around the end
of March because of death by 1000 cuts.

The constant 30%/50 % back-and-forth to buy their stale bread
and almost rotten meat/fish/produce, etc. It's not just that, there
are a lot of other things, too, like their CEO Galen Weston being
worth almost 9 billion and still making over 1/2 a billion dollars a
year, his telling people not to support farmer's markets because it
wasn't safe to eat, etc. It all added up and started to affect us
from a "What the hell are they doing?" point of view.

We know they all are doing it, but out of stubbornness, we go
to Sobeys, WalMart, and Costco instead. It won't make any
difference, but it makes us feel a little better.
HRM Resident
l***@florence.it
2024-05-09 18:46:10 UTC
On Thu, 09 May 2024 10:27:28 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
We haven't participated in the Loblaws/Superstore May boycott,
which will likely be a flop. We stopped going there around the end
of March because of death by 1000 cuts.
The constant 30%/50 % back-and-forth to buy their stale bread
and almost rotten meat/fish/produce, etc. It's not just that, there
are a lot of other things, too, like their CEO Galen Weston being
worth almost 9 billion and still making over 1/2 a billion dollars a
year, his telling people not to support farmer's markets because it
wasn't safe to eat, etc. It all added up and started to affect us
from a "What the hell are they doing?" point of view.
We know they all are doing it, but out of stubbornness, we go
to Sobeys, WalMart, and Costco instead. It won't make any
difference, but it makes us feel a little better.
Well I wanted to go to Superstore yesterday but went to Lawtons
instead because of the boycott. If enough people do it, it will be a
message to all of them!

Although, then again, if all the university students protesting Israel
have had no effect, who knows??
l***@florence.it
2024-05-09 23:40:39 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
I know it's bottom of the barrel to post to ones own post, but I meant
Shoppers Drug Mart, not Superstore but they are also part of the
boycott.
axemen99
2024-05-10 14:55:23 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
This is the list
https://www.seachoice.org/which-retailer-owns-my-supermarket/

Shoppers Drug Mart is also Loblaws 8-(
axemen99
2024-05-10 15:06:14 UTC
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
From that web site

STORES OWNED BY LOBLAW COMPANIES LTD.
Atlantic Superstore
Dominion Stores
Extra Foods
Loblaw Great Food
Loblaws
Loblaws CityMarket
Maxi & Cie
Pharmaprix
Provigo
Provigo Le Marché
Real Canadian Superstore
Real Canadian Wholesale Club
Shoppers Drug Mart
T&T Supermarket
Zehrs
Zehrs Great Food
Fortinos
Freshmart
No Frills (except for third-party operated fresh seafood counters)
SaveEasy
Valu-mart
Your Independent Grocer

STORES OWNED BY SAVE-ON-FOODS
Bulkley Valley Wholesale
Save-On-Foods
Urban Fare

STORES OWNED BY SOBEYS INC.
Foodland
FreshCo
IGA
Safeway
Sobeys
Thrifty Foods
Voila (e-commerce)
HRM Resident
2024-05-10 15:23:06 UTC
Post by axemen99
This is the list
https://www.seachoice.org/which-retailer-owns-my-supermarket/
Shoppers Drug Mart is also Loblaws 8-(
Shoppers Drug Mart is indeed owned by Loblaws, and I avoid them
whenever possible. The only time in recent years that I was in one
was last month to get a Covid booster. That was because they were
the only option.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawtons>

"Lawtons is a Canadian drug store chain owned by the Sobeys Group
of Stellarton, Nova Scotia; its head office is located in Dartmouth,
Nova Scotia."

Sobeys and Lawtons are not squeakey clean in terms of pricing, but
they are not associated with Loblaws, so I use them whenever possible.
HRM Resident
l***@florence.it
2024-05-10 18:24:57 UTC
On Fri, 10 May 2024 12:23:06 -0300, HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by axemen99
This is the list
https://www.seachoice.org/which-retailer-owns-my-supermarket/
Shoppers Drug Mart is also Loblaws 8-(
Shoppers Drug Mart is indeed owned by Loblaws, and I avoid them
whenever possible. The only time in recent years that I was in one
was last month to get a Covid booster. That was because they were
the only option.
I got mine at the Medecine Shop on Lacewood, first time I went there,
nice place.
l***@florence.it
2024-05-10 18:21:52 UTC
Post by axemen99
Post by HRM Resident
[...]
Yes, that's why I decided I had to go to Lawtons :) However, today I
had to go to Shoppers because I needed the Post Office which is
therein. I had to get the Pharmacist I use to sign that I am still
really alive so the UK Pension will keep coming! Needed the PO because
I don't keep any stamps to hand anymore and it's so long since I
mailed anything air mail, didn't have a clue what was needed.

I wasn't going to honour a boycott to that level :)
axemen99
2024-05-10 15:04:09 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
I know it's bottom of the barrel to post to ones own post, but I meant
Shoppers Drug Mart, not Superstore but they are also part of the
boycott.
In the news about the boycott -
https://globalnews.ca/news/10459526/loblaw-boycott-brands-subsidiaries/

On youtube video (CBC?), someone compared the same items at Loblaws and
Shoppers Drug Mart, the prices at Shoppers Drug Mart were higher,
20-30%(?) higher, although they are both owned by Loblaws.
l***@florence.it
2024-05-10 18:22:49 UTC
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
I know it's bottom of the barrel to post to ones own post, but I meant
Shoppers Drug Mart, not Superstore but they are also part of the
boycott.
In the news about the boycott -
https://globalnews.ca/news/10459526/loblaw-boycott-brands-subsidiaries/
On youtube video (CBC?), someone compared the same items at Loblaws and
Shoppers Drug Mart, the prices at Shoppers Drug Mart were higher,
20-30%(?) higher, although they are both owned by Loblaws.
Did they also mention they are generally lower always at No Frills
stores, which are also Loblaws?
axemen99
2024-05-11 01:16:24 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
I know it's bottom of the barrel to post to ones own post, but I meant
Shoppers Drug Mart, not Superstore but they are also part of the
boycott.
In the news about the boycott -
https://globalnews.ca/news/10459526/loblaw-boycott-brands-subsidiaries/
On youtube video (CBC?), someone compared the same items at Loblaws and
Shoppers Drug Mart, the prices at Shoppers Drug Mart were higher,
20-30%(?) higher, although they are both owned by Loblaws.
Did they also mention they are generally lower always at No Frills
stores, which are also Loblaws?
Yes, it was mentioned.
The CBC youtube video was around February. If I can find it, I will post
it here.
l***@florence.it
2024-05-11 11:43:28 UTC
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
I know it's bottom of the barrel to post to ones own post, but I meant
Shoppers Drug Mart, not Superstore but they are also part of the
boycott.
In the news about the boycott -
https://globalnews.ca/news/10459526/loblaw-boycott-brands-subsidiaries/
On youtube video (CBC?), someone compared the same items at Loblaws and
Shoppers Drug Mart, the prices at Shoppers Drug Mart were higher,
20-30%(?) higher, although they are both owned by Loblaws.
Did they also mention they are generally lower always at No Frills
stores, which are also Loblaws?
Yes, it was mentioned.
The CBC youtube video was around February. If I can find it, I will post
it here.
I do go to No Frills every so often, nice store but Sobeys is so much
nearer. I have to go every so often as that is the only place where I
can find 'complete' chicken wings, as in not cut up into chunks!
HRM Resident
2024-05-11 12:42:52 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
I do go to No Frills every so often, nice store but Sobeys
is so much nearer. I have to go every so often as that is
the only place where I can find 'complete' chicken wings,
as in not cut up into chunks!
Are you sure they are chicken wings? Might be crows that
someone is picking off with a BB gun. Or dead ducks/geese
that wash up along the shore. Some entrepreneur might
be supplying them “under the table” with No Frills labelling
them as chicken. Remember, every time someone eats
something gross, they smile and say “tastes like chicken!”

Sort of related, on those TV cooking shows with a guest
cook, have you noticed the host always takes a forkful and
says “Wow! Delicious.” I’d like to see them spit it out and
yell, “Jesus, that tastes like shit!” :-)
HRM Resident
l***@florence.it
2024-05-11 19:07:41 UTC
On Sat, 11 May 2024 12:42:52 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@florence.it
I do go to No Frills every so often, nice store but Sobeys
is so much nearer. I have to go every so often as that is
the only place where I can find 'complete' chicken wings,
as in not cut up into chunks!
Are you sure they are chicken wings? Might be crows that
someone is picking off with a BB gun. Or dead ducks/geese
that wash up along the shore. Some entrepreneur might
be supplying them “under the table” with No Frills labelling
them as chicken. Remember, every time someone eats
something gross, they smile and say “tastes like chicken!”
Yes, I am certain they are chicken wings, poor you if you can't see
the difference between a chickens leg or a ducks.

All the other stores sell them cut into three pieces as that is what
young people call 'wings' these days. I like them left whole as when
I cook them they stay moist not dried out like cut up wings.
HRM Resident
2024-05-11 19:59:34 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Yes, I am certain they are chicken wings, poor you if you can't see
the difference between a chickens leg or a ducks.
All the other stores sell them cut into three pieces as that is what
young people call 'wings' these days. I like them left whole as when
I cook them they stay moist not dried out like cut up wings.
Yeah, I could tell the difference. We are both old school. I bet
many of the younger generations who think cooking is making toast or
frying an egg is cooking would not tell. I'm lucky in that my wife has
cooked all her life. We never buy processed foods or eat things that
come from fast food places.

I do make stews and a lot of the "meat and potatoes" things, and
she does most of the baking and such. It's not hard to roast a chicken,
but many people under 50 (including my adult kids) think roast chicken
comes pre-cooked from the rotisserie at Costco or one of the big grocery
stores.

And yes, I do dig dandilion greens out of the lawn and cook them up.
I also eat all the carrot tops from the garden the same way. Even
rhubarb boiled for 10-15 minutes with no sugar is good. Waste not, want
not.
HRM Resident
Booklady
2024-05-13 13:47:52 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
Best chicken wings in my former area is M&M's and really reasonable when
on sale. I've heard people mention that they're expensive but not when
you consider how many wings are in a box.
l***@florence.it
2024-05-13 20:36:40 UTC
Post by Booklady
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
Do they sell raw ones? Never thought of them in that context, nearer
than No Frills in Spryfield.
Booklady
2024-05-14 11:05:56 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by Booklady
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
Some things they do sell raw. Chicken wings isn't one of them but then
all I do when I cook with them is coat them and bake them so now I just
let M&M do that for me. They cook REALLY nicely in my air fryer
l***@florence.it
2024-05-14 11:34:24 UTC
Post by Booklady
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by Booklady
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
Yes, that's how I cook them, in fact, I can't remember when I last
turned on the proper oven, which is a good thing. I don't like them
coated though, prefer plain, or at most as they thaw I put teriyaki
sauce in the bag so they take on the flavour. I go over to No Frills,
buy about $30 worth, separate them into bags of three and freeze, so I
don't need to go over often.

axemen99
2024-05-12 00:02:22 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Did they also mention they are generally lower always at No Frills
stores, which are also Loblaws?
"No Frills" related videos

3 months ago
Some customers of the Loblaw owned supermarket store No Frills say they
are relieved the company has decided to bring back the half-off promotion.

A year ago
freezing prices on its No Name brand

l***@florence.it
2024-05-13 11:02:12 UTC
http://youtu.be/4gWL2m-fss0
A year ago
freezing prices on its No Name brand
http://youtu.be/ZLT1FKLTE00
I don't think Loblaws ever thought they would receive such a kick back
over discontinuing the half off items! I think when people saw their
reaction it encouraged them to think 'boycott' -
axemen99
2024-05-13 16:56:08 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Post by axemen99
Post by l***@florence.it
Did they also mention they are generally lower always at No Frills
stores, which are also Loblaws?
"No Frills" related videos
3 months ago
Some customers of the Loblaw owned supermarket store No Frills say they
are relieved the company has decided to bring back the half-off promotion.
http://youtu.be/4gWL2m-fss0
A year ago
freezing prices on its No Name brand
http://youtu.be/ZLT1FKLTE00
I don't think Loblaws ever thought they would receive such a kick back
over discontinuing the half off items! I think when people saw their
reaction it encouraged them to think 'boycott' -
Monopoly and no competitions, explained by CBC Market Place.

For me, many of my vegetables - peppers especially, are shipped from
Toronto, at a good price to Boston. Lettuce from California, Mexico
ships lots of vegetable. There should be not much more cost to ship
across the border to Canada, from Mexico via US to Canada.

The two major grocery chains dictates the prices, for profits - not good
for Canadians. Canadian Federal government wants to attract more
grocery chains to Canada, with road blocks from the two major grocery
chains.
HRM Resident
2024-05-09 23:52:23 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
Well I wanted to go to Superstore yesterday but went to
Lawtons instead because of the boycott. If enough people
do it, it will be a message to all of them!
Although, then again, if all the university students
protesting Israel have had no effect, who knows??
As I have said numerous times, I have no interest in foreign
wars anymore. All I know is they are fighting again in the
Middle East, as they have been doing since my first memory
around 1960. I have to assume that the Ukraine/Russia war
is still going on. Like the boycott of the big stores here, I
don’t think we can make a difference. Maybe we can, but I
did my part with anti-Vietnam and anti-nuke protests in the
60s and 70s. It is someone younger’s job to take up the
protests.

Coincidentally I went to Lawtons today as well. I ran into a
guy I went to high school with. After exchanging hellos, he
said he wouldn’t be happy until every last f**king Jew was
gone from the planet. I looked at him with no expression
and then shrugged without responding and for my stuff.

Whatever is going on is generating a lot of strong feelings.
I am glad I don’t know.
HRM Resident
James Warren
Head in the sand is the key to a peaceful life.
l***@florence.it
2024-05-10 11:00:51 UTC
On Thu, 9 May 2024 23:52:23 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@florence.it
[...]
I hope that's just your usenet self speaking!! Too many people are
ignoring Palestinians/Ukrainians, so soon we will be back in the 1930s
and doomed to repeat WWII.
HRM Resident
2024-05-10 11:25:47 UTC
Post by l***@florence.it
I hope that's just your usenet self speaking!! Too many
people are ignoring Palestinians/Ukrainians, so soon we
will be back in the 1930s and doomed to repeat WWII.
I agree with what you said. What would you have me do?
Watch the news and become frustrated and angry? Say I
hate someone? I feel getting on Usenet or any other
platform and saying I hate people is unlikely to change
the outcome of foreign wars. Am I wrong?
HRM Resident
James Warren
2024-05-10 11:34:43 UTC
Post by HRM Resident
Post by l***@florence.it
I hope that's just your usenet self speaking!! Too many
people are ignoring Palestinians/Ukrainians, so soon we
will be back in the 1930s and doomed to repeat WWII.
I agree with what you said. What would you have me do?
Watch the news and become frustrated and angry? Say I
hate someone? I feel getting on Usenet or any other
platform and saying I hate people is unlikely to change
the outcome of foreign wars. Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. Being informed need not generate hate. Just observing
what is happening and trying to understand it is useful information. We
may have little effect individually but collective opinions can
influence some outcomes, Vietnam is an example.

I try to understand the world but I feel no hate.